• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ever want to give it up?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Read his post. He WAS shooting in the 80's, until he got some swing training.

He needs to get his mind right.

Golf is a game for stupid people. :laugh: The less you think, the better you play. I beleive it was Bobby Jones who had a quote along the lines of the less he thought, the better he played. If he had 3 or 4 thoughts going through his brain during a swing, he played horribly. If he had two thoughts going through his brain during a swing he could play halfway decent. If he had one throught going through his brain he could play well. He looked forward to the days where he had ZERO thoughts during his swing as that was the day he was going to shoot the lights out.

Long story short, I agree with Eracer (even though he doesn't let dogs on the couch. :D)

OP
S

shank

Jan 16, 2008
Well, good news from here. I hit a large bucket this morning and then went and had a lesson. Lesson went well I thought. I decided to hit the course and I shot a 92.
I'm happy again. I've never had a driver lesson yet, so I'm still only hitting a few fairways per round.
It is the "new" swing that is taking a while to come around. I pured some nice 4 irons today at the course and that makes me real happy. I am keeping the hybrids and fairway woods in the bag to force myself to hit long irons.
I tried to keep the swing thoughts to a minimum and I think that helped.

It's coming around.....I think.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I think we've all considered giving this game up at least once. I think a lot of people take this game too seriously and expect too much from themselves.
You know, we watch the pros on TV and they make this game looks so easy and then when we actually go out and learn how to play golf we realize just how hard it is and we get down on ourselves because we arent playing as well as the pros on TV do.
A long time ago a friend told me that when the day comes that you take golf seriously, thats the day to quit playing golf. Those are words that Ive tried to keep in mind no matter how Im playing. If you take golf seriously, it will get to you and will eat you alive. You gotta just play it one shot at a time and forget about the previous shot.
IMO, the OP's problem is that he is overthinking things. He had an old swing that worked fairly well, but then we went and got some lessons and had his head filled with all these new ideas, so now he head is full of all these swing thoughts and pretty much his brain is getting in the way.
Ive been told that when you go take lessons and the instructor teaches to change your golfswing, that it will take about 6 months before that new swing will feel natural and you will start playing better. Maybe thats true, maybe its not; but thats what Ive been told.
I say just relax and enjoy the game. Dont worry about the score or hitting perfect shots. Just hit the ball, accept the results and go from there.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
That's what happens when I have to sleep on the couch....:confused:
Wait, you live alone...what'd you do, piss yourself off and kick yourself out of your bedroom???

Send yourself some flowers and take yourself out to a nice dinner. Soon, you'll be sleeping with yourself again!

No thanks necessary, really, just glad I could help. :D

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I haven't considered walking away from the game, however I have walked away from a few rds when anything & everything was going horribly.

Played a 9 hole rd last year & I could not hit a damn thing, was losing balls left & right, etc. Got to the 8th hole & I had enough, drove right back to my truck & gave up after 7 holes.

🔥 Latest posts