• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Exercises

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
I've been playing golf now for about 4 years, but recently (more in the past year) I've been feeling slight arm, shoulder and back pain when swinging.

Now I'm still (fairly) young (I'm just turned 28), and I've played sports most of my life. I'm not that flexible which may be down to the cause, but I've been to the pro and had my swing analysed and (not to blow smoke up my backside) he has said that my natural swing bar a few minor flaws is very very good. It shouldn’t be doing anything 'too' distressing to my body to cause damage.

Now I am wondering if and what any exercises people do to A: strengthen / flex the specific muscles used for the golf swing in your arms and back and B: what do people to do warm up before the range / going on a round?

I'm getting tired now of my ever improving game stalling a bit because I'm feeling aches etc when swinging. I look at the guys that are really good at this game and their swings look almost effortless, and whist I am doing ok at golf I would like it to become less of a strain if possible (it’s hard to explain, mainly because I am crap at explaining things properly!)

I'd like to possible find some exercises that I can do when at home / at the gym which will give me more strength and control over swinging the club.

Thanks
<o:p> </o:p>

BoarderDave

SoCal Golfer
Aug 24, 2006
Torrance, CA
Country
United States United States
Im also curious on this.. usually I just grab my club weight (the donut ones that slip on the club) and go swing for a while.

Or I'll wander down to a range and hit short buckets of balls every few days..

But I definitely would love to have some home stretches or workouts that keep the proper muscles being worked whilst Im not out on the course.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
I usually lift weights for exercise, which isn't particularly golf focused. However, I always stretch out my shoulders and back a lot, and I find that doing some leg stretches work good.

For strengthening muscles, weights are great, as is things like yoga and pilates. Pilates is the best thing ever for your core and lower back, and it's really helped my posture over the ball...!

Before I play, I take a 7 iron out and warm up swinging that for 5-10 mins. I always stack it up with another club or two to get the weight going, and I swing across my body from side to side rather than in a shot-making stance, so I can slacken my shoulders really well...

Hope that helps! Doubt it does...!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
DownwardDog.jpg

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That you Vt?

I do about 200 crunches a day, run a couple miles around the local private school, and do lightweight lifting mostly.

Another biggy is I split about 8 cords of wood in the winter.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
VT, I have to do that just to see my feet :D

... as far as stretching I just do the normal stretches I would as a soccer player, or some of them, from when I was younger. Then do 3 sets of shoulder stretches (basically pulling my arm and holding it accross my chest for 10 seconds), then the normally twisting with club in hand for my back, as well as over my back side to side. I then do another by crossing my ankle over my other knee then squating to a sitting position. A few stretches and pull stretches on my neck to relax. Take a few swings. A Friend of mine that is an athletic director for a HS in NJ just showed me one a couple weeks ago that does all this and the back as one routine, that he learned from a trainer or something for the Yankees, but I am not really sure it can be explained, and is basically a sequence. Not sure I fully remember it either, as he will likely have to show me another time or two. Maybe once I get more familiar with it, I will update.

Bloody Mary's at 7am work wonders as well.

edit 1 - I also take a wedge and do clockwise windmills with the club to loosen up the shoulder, just hold it so the blade points out and watch your ankles.

🔥 Latest posts