• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Exposing Loft

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've been working on exposing the loft more on my driver and fairway woods with good results. It's funny how I just always set up the same way but wonder now if I was just doing it wrong all along. I can stripe my 3Wood with a high trajectory and even took my driver off the deck with reasonable success. A few nearly as long as off the tee. Is this the way to hit these clubs? I'll post some pics to explain if it will help.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ok, tried to take a pic of what I'm talking about. Just wondering whether this is how you guys have the face or not. It makes a huge difference in the flight of the shot. I was hitting a 3wood 10ft. off the ground, maybe 15 on a good one. With the face open (after the slices were worked out) the ball was flying 3 to 4 times as high. I could actually get one to stop on a green from 235 like this.

normal.jpg

exposed1.jpg

BTW this is the R7425 10.5* ... For those of you who thought it was so offset.
normal.jpg
exposed1.jpg

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Effectively, you're getting rid of the offset and increasing loft at impact. (I just killed a huge spider on my keyboard while writing that. LOL)

I'm gonna guess that your hurry shot is a big draw. Right? Most clubs with any offset are set up that way to help the guy that leaves the face open. From my math, you're hitting the ball dead on, but without enough loft.

What degree is your 3 wood? If it's 13*, you should maybe try a 15*. It will have a bit more of an open face, as long as you don't get one with alot of offset.

I had a 13* and a 15* Hawkeye. I hit the 15* farther and with far more control. The 3 wood, which was closed like 1*, was a hook machine. Couldn't hit it straight to save my life, let alone as far as the 15*.

Good pics, BTW.

R35

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Fades/Slices are always higher trajectory shots unless you play it way back in your stance and open the clubface. I play all of my clubfaces slightly opened or square or I will be hitting draws and I always have high trajectories.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Those pics are the driver (3w pics came out like crap. Plus the skymarks were a little embarassing.
icon10.gif
) If I hurry I tend to pull the ball rather than a hook. I hit a massive high draw the other day by opening it up and turning it over correctly. I've been messing around for about a month with changing trajectories with all my clubs. Demon, you are right. It's easier to get the high fade than the high draw. The high fade with the 5-7irons is a flat out nasty shot though. Seems I can get it without even changing the swing path. Just open the face and weaken the grip.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Pretty cool, actually. A draw really was never meant to be high though, more of a lower more roll shot.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Pretty cool, actually. A draw really was never meant to be high though, more of a lower more roll shot

Exactly, thats why the idea is a draw goes farther then a fade, its a lower shot that gets more roll, when you start hitting a higher draw it just sorta changes the direction instead of mixing the distance very much.

Then again, im hitting low fades and those roll a fair amount too, so i dont think its more the spin, but the tracjectory.

🔥 Latest posts