• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Extended warranty?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Bought a new TV yesterday. Old one died.. 50" Samsung Plasma for $1099. Best Buy trying to talk me into an extended warranty which I agree is a good idea... but they want $259 for the damn thing. If it was only like $150 it would be a no brainer... but $260 just seems high... hell that's almost 1/4 the price of the TV! Thoughts?

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Two months ago I would've replied that it was in a no way worth it, however, it isn't two months ago.

Mid last year we bought a printer from Best Buy and earlier this year it crapped itself. My wife found some paper work stating that we had apparently purchase said maintenance and we had barely two weeks left (we were sent a renewal). I high tailed it down to Geek Squad and handed the printer over for "maintenance contract" repairs. After three week BB calls and says that the piece required to fix the printer is too expensive and they will give us full purchase price credit towards a new printer.

Right now we are kicking ourselves because the view window of our digital camcorder is dead and we didn't get the warranty on it. :(

Point being is that $250 does seem high but it is a helluva lot cheaper than another $1099...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
You can get warranties through other companies, and depending on how you bought it, your entitled to cheaper coverage through your CC company if you went that route.

Point is, pass on the Best Buy warranty for a TV.

Laptop, I can see.. Printer, probably not.. DVD player, not.

It's just another way to make money, trust me.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
My personal experience is that extended warranties are a waste. It seems that products are almost built to last the life of a warranty and then crap out right after they expire. I have yet to have a tv go bad. Just purchased a new plasma because the newer gaming consoles, HDTV, and my new love for pc media requires the updated technology. I have an old tv from 24 years ago that still look great but I can't hook a darn thing up to the catv without switches and crap. But then again they don't build cars like tanks anymore so I guess I am no help on this topic.

+1 up in posts

jerome

Aug 25, 2006
On a samsung/panny/sony plasma tv there is like a 4% chance of having an issue during the 1st 3 years, and one of those years is already covered by the manufacturer. Figure those odds in with the fact that one year from today a tv like the one you just bought will be half that price and all of a sudden it looks like a bit of a sucker bet.

There is a reason why the salespeople push these warranties, and the fact is they make more selling warranties than selling tvs.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
extended warranties are almost pure profit for the stores. 'nuff said.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Better idea than anything....

DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM BEST BUY!

That place is the most worthless excuse for an electronics dealer i have ever seen.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Ya, I agree about extended warranties being a rip-off, the one thing to take into account with Best Buys program, that if you dont use it within the extended program years, they'll refund half of the money back.

The problem is, remembering it 5 years later.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Plain and simple, extended warranties are a waste of money. It might be worth it in very rare cases, but usually its a waste.

Members online

No members online now.