• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Extremely easy to hit 3 wood?

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
i second the taylormade....

but id also recommend checking out, as rock said, the cleveland launcher's... they are super easy to hit...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Adams makes a very easy to hit fairway wood, some places still have the Tight Lies clubs, but the newer LP fairways are low profile and easy to get in the air.

+++1. Nobody makes an easier to hit 3-wood.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would still have to go back to the Original Tight Lies for the easiest to hit. Also can usually be found now for around $30. Just tee them very low when playing from a tee. They have two lofted 3 woods. A regular and a Strong. I had the Strong 3,5, and 7 and would likely compare the Strong to many of the regular 3 woods I have hit. They are just stupid easy to hit. Maybe a little harder to "work", but that goes back to the old topic of importance of being able to work the ball when you want an easy club to hit. Certainly not something I ever try to do alot of in my game. I always though it was probably a mistake for me not to just swallow my pride and go back to them in a Stiffer shaft.

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
I'm a big BIG fan of my Taylormade R7 ti 3W. Its my most favourite, bestist, wonderfullist club in the wholest widest worldest!!

Basically, I like it a lot.

I hit it just as far as I can drive (almost), and I find it quite forgiving.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Let me rain on the parade: Don't buy another 3 wood until you learn how to hit one, especially a pricey Tour Edge. As much as I would like to have the new CB2, $300+ for a 3 wood is out of my range.

I had an epiphany of sorts a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that the tour pros were great at hitting their woods off the deck and that they took divots with them. To get the ball to go up in the air with a fairway wood, you still have to hit down on the ball slightly.

So, I'd use that range time (and maybe a lesson) to learn to hit a fairway wood properly before ho'ing a new one.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I have 2 easy to hit 3 woods: a TM VSteel with stock steel R flex shaft, and an Adams RPM LP (low profile) with Graffaloy ProLaunch 75R shaft. Both are 15º, easy to hit, and can be bought.

I have the matching 5 wood for the Adams.

Whether you consider these or not, you should definitely demo both...they are very easy to hit.

Before you do anything, though, take Sib's advice above.

You also should consider a 4 wood...more loft, easier to hit, and similar yardage.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Adams makes a very easy to hit fairway wood, some places still have the Tight Lies clubs, but the newer LP fairways are low profile and easy to get in the air.

What are they like of the Tee? I'm on the hunt for a Fairway wood aswell, Found a new V steel for £50 ($100) which has my serious attention.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
What are they like of the Tee? I'm on the hunt for a Fairway wood aswell, Found a new V steel for £50 ($100) which has my serious attention.

Once you adjust to teeing the ball lower, the LP's are very easy to hit off the tee. I actually tee them about the same height as using an iron off the tee.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Once you adjust to teeing the ball lower, the LP's are very easy to hit off the tee. I actually tee them about the same height as using an iron off the tee.

Interesting, how far do you hit your 3wood off the deck? I'm looking for a 240yrd club off the fairway.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'm not a good example of 3 wood distance off the deck...that's the weakest part of my game. The Adams are helping as much as a club can, but I'm due for a lesson.

A well hit 3 wood for me is probably 230 or so.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
You also should consider a 4 wood...more loft, easier to hit, and similar yardage.

I'll chime in again regarding a 4W but this time without the laughing smiley so that it might be taken more seriously...

A 4W is a great compromise for those that struggle with a 3W off the deck. The shorter 5W like shaft gives control and the closer to 3W loft gives distance. For the longest time I couldn't hit a 3W off the deck to save my life. I picked up a 4W and was in business. After playing the 4W for a little over a year I got more confidence and transitioned into a 3W. I now hit the 3W with a ton of confidence from the tee box and off the deck.

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Another cheap alternative is the La Jolla Knife 3w. Another that's stupid easy to hit. Even as a short knocker I'm getting 220 out of it. Bought it from Rockbottom for $9.99 plus shipping. Best money I've ever spent on a golf club. I tried some of the (much) more expensive woods with no better success. The rails on the knife keep me from digging too deep.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I'll chime in again regarding a 4W but this time without the laughing smiley so that it might be taken more seriously...

Well I'll back you up if no-one else will, Chemboy!

My 4w has become the most valuable club in my bag these days - easy to hit off the deck compared to any 3w I tried, better out of the rough than a 3w, and great off the tee.

As Greydawg can vouch for, I hit mine off the tee a lot these days, and still outdrive most of the people using driver that I play against.

🔥 Latest posts