• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Face angle

loopy

Jan 27, 2010
Was toying around at the range the other day...been struggling with an overly flat swing and coming from way inside. Everything was hooking. I thought maybe I'm hooding the club at address (although it looked square). I opened th club face to what I thought would produce a high floating cut took a relaxed swing and whoa! straight with a hint of draw at the end and longer than I would usually hit that club. Is it possible that what I thought was square at set up was acutally closed or hooded? Wasn't it Ben Hogan who said " take every instinct you have to hit a golf shot and reverse it and you might wind up with an acceptable shot" of course I'm paraphrasing.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've been saying this a lot lately, but golf is counter-intuitive in a lot of ways.

If you're hitting a hook, a ball that curves back toward you, or to the left from a target-line view (for a righty), it's because your club is actually moving too far away from you, or to the right from a target-line view.

You'll hit low shots if you hit high on the ball, and high shots with a descending blow.

You need to come from the inside, but also turn through so that your follow through is ALSO to the inside. You might have to make your attack angle a little shallower to accomplish that, but if you go to the range with that goal in mind, you should be able to feel out a solution. Inside, impact, inside.

If you start to PULL your shots (a ball that flies with no curvature, but left of the target), THAT is a face-angle issue. A push is the same thing.

OP
L

loopy

Jan 27, 2010
SUX, can I call you SUX? funny you should mention pushes and the end of your reply. Last round I played I was hitting a pretty controled draw with my driver...get to the last par 5 on the front side and since I've been drawing the ball all day...aim slightly left of the BIG pond down the right side and figured it'd draw to the midlle of the fairway. WRONG! Big high push right into the middle of the pond! It was definitely a push it started right of target and flew straight with little to no curvature. I think sometimes I get left to fast with the hips and lower body and wind up hanging back and flipping. Maybe my stance is too wide if I set up narrower I have an easier time turning thru the shot. Funny how I realize this stuff sitting in front of the computer, but put a club in my hand and a ball on the ground and POOF it all goes away.

🔥 Latest posts