• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Face balanced mallet putter recommendation.

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Hi guys. I am planning to buy a face balanced mallet putter to replace my SC Newport 2.

I tried out Ping Redwood Piper and liked it a lot. Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to see if you could recommend any other face balanced mallet putters.

Also, it would be great if the owners of Ping Redwood Piper could give a brief review about this putter.

I am 5'9" and like the 33" putter but the Ping fitter strongly suggested that I should go with 34". Is 33" too short for me?

Thanks a bunch.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
If you like your Studio Style Newport 2 feel, try an SC Red X2. You will probably have to go used on this (which you probably should do anyway :D)as they no longer make them. I spent a long time trying to find a putter that felt as good as the SSNP2 and did not find one until getting the Red X2.

As far as length goes, if your comfortable with a 33", I would stay there. Unless you change your putting stance, you will probably end up gripping down on a 34". How in depth was the putter fitting? Did you roll puts with both a 33" and 34" or is your Ping fitter trying to move some 34" stock?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Why do you want a face balanced putter? IMO, Toe flow is a must. Nobodies putting stroke is straight back and through, not even Tiger's, every putting stroke has a slight ark and therefore a degree of Toe hang should be a must to help the stroke square up. Just My Opinion. If you like Mallets try a Heel Shafted Red X it has a quarter turn of toe hang.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online