• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Face control

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
1388027463903.jpg

Reaching might be causing this..feet too wide...gonna kill it etc. Try standing up and crossing your feet at address to find your balance.

OP
extremeVFT03

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
Is there somewhere I can read up on the reaching problem or the crossing legs drill thanks I'm not totally understanding thanks

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
The manufacturers like callaway etc have great video on their sites and also youtube is really good. Butch Harmon is a famous teacher you could search. I am sure there are guys here like Markfed that are PGA and have some great suggestions. The PGA has a great deal of training on their sites also.

OP
extremeVFT03

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
Ok thanks I tried searching for reaching but didn't come up with any thing is it called something else thanks

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Never heard of the cross your legs drill.

I would recommend standing taller at address, Extreme. This is not why you're slicing the ball though. You need to slow everything down and make sure you make an in-to-out swing if you want to draw the ball. If you want sound advice, you need to post a video of your swing, even then "sound" is a stretch around here. :D

Actually, we do have some knowledgeable guys here. If you can catch MarkFed online, you might try to sweet talk him into looking at your swing vid.

OP
extremeVFT03

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
Ok thanks both of those pics are links to two videos of my swing

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Advice on here is worth exactly what you paid for it... but...

The swing videos don't look that bad. I wonder if you aren't trying to manipulate the hands a little to much and can't maintain a consistency from swing to swing. If I were you, I'd try just a couple of minor changes. (Take one Aspirin... not the entire bottle!) The two minor changes I would make are 1.) It appears you might be coming a tad bit out to in. With 12 o'clock pointing at the target and 6 o'clock on the target line, try to make contact between the 6 and 7 on the clock fact. If you concentrate on the "7", you will feel like you're pushing the ball to the right. Instead, you'll have the in to out swing plane you need. 2.) Move the ball just a tad bit more forward... to your big toe. It's now on the inside of your left foot. That's not giving the clubface time to close. Move it forward and try it.
Those ideas are NOT from a PGA teaching pro!!!! Just from a layman who plays a lot of golf and observes a plethora of "interesting" swings.
Good luck!!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Advice on here is worth exactly what you paid for it... but...

The swing videos don't look that bad. I wonder if you aren't trying to manipulate the hands a little to much and can't maintain a consistency from swing to swing. If I were you, I'd try just a couple of minor changes. (Take one Aspirin... not the entire bottle!) The two minor changes I would make are 1.) It appears you might be coming a tad bit out to in. With 12 o'clock pointing at the target and 6 o'clock on the target line, try to make contact between the 6 and 7 on the clock fact. If you concentrate on the "7", you will feel like you're pushing the ball to the right. Instead, you'll have the in to out swing plane you need. 2.) Move the ball just a tad bit more forward... to your big toe. It's now on the inside of your left foot. That's not giving the clubface time to close. Move it forward and try it.
Those ideas are NOT from a PGA teaching pro!!!! Just from a layman who plays a lot of golf and observes a plethora of "interesting" swings.
Good luck!!!!
This^^^

OP
extremeVFT03

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
Thanks limpalong I'll give it a go

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I agree with limp they look pretty good. If you could slow mo the face on vid you would see the club shaft bending forward to the ball in a release thats a little early. This will change a few angles also.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
There is a sequence of actions called "hitting from the top" that have the hands too close to the head at the top and that induces a throwing out motion of the hands on the downswing resulting in an early release. I am not seeing all the frames on the video because I am on a phone app but what I can see looks like that. The right hand needs to be as far out as you can get it up top, and its extra leverage makes up for that need to get waay back for more power, but you gain more control because you dont collapse off plane at the top. Pushing your right hand onto your left thumb may help feeling it.

OP
extremeVFT03

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
Ok thanks I'm looking and I do cut divots with my wedges to the left most times. So can I ask should I feel my right elbow on my side thru the back swing and on the down swing feel my hands stay close to my body thanks

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
No. Driver is a long stick and does not need to come down as steep as short wedges. The condition at the top that is narrow rather than wide predicts the rerouting that has to follow on the downswing which has to be more down than around and perhaps the push and low hook is a result of coming down and then to the ball. I bet its the point of that early release also as the centripetal force on the clubhead would accumulate at that redirection point and cause the head to begin moving forward on its own.

*If you are throwing the club down from the top, turn your shoulders more, feel "wider" on backswing, turn inside of right leg, make bigger shoulder turn, stretch arms out and get off right foot on downswing.
-Butch Harmon

You may want to stop going back once your shoulders stop turning also. Thats just over swinging to me but everybody shows me pictures of John Daly when I mention it.

Keep the wedges in front of you, they dont have as flat a lie angle and you dont want to bring them behind you because you have to reroute that back over the top and that can make you come outside - in.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts