• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Face control

OP
extremeVFT03

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
No I have been trying to work on my swing as much as I can but it's so wet here the driving range is closed so I haven't been out to really hit a few buckets. Most of my practice is indoors in my living room. I do have OTT swing and I can't lose it my wedge swing is way OTT as the divots point way left. So I do think you for the advice and I'm trying to use it thanks

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
Hi extremeVFT03...been busy through the holidays and haven't been on much. I was trying to catch up, saw this thread and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in (thanks for the plug TP and AG :)).

I'm going to assume on the video from behind, the camera is looking down your target line (directly over the 4th post from the right out to the opening to the right of the trees?)
I've watched and compared both videos at similar points in the swing. What stands out to me that would cause you push it right:

1. Too much lower body movement during your takeaway - when you get to the top of your backswing, you want your left knee to be pointing at or just behind the golf ball. Because your lower body is turning so much on your backswing, it's making it hard to clear your left side. Also by turning so much with your lower body, it throws the timing off. Your downswing should be initiated with your left hip moving slightly toward the target and clearing. Your belt buckle should be almost halfway to your target at impact. Because your lower body turns as much as it does in your backswing, it has farther to travel before your left side completely clears, causing your belt buckle to still be facing the ball at impact. Think about a batter in baseball. When he steps into the batters box and gets set, his belt buckle is facing forward (toward the plate...no lower body turn) and his upper body is turned. This position in both baseball and golf create torque. When the batter makes powerful contact with the ball, his belt buckle is pointing more toward 1st base or right field, but contact is made when the ball is over the plate.
From the front on view, stop the video at the top of your backswing and look where your belt buckle is facing. Try getting in a batter's stance in this position. First, you can't even see the pitcher from this position, and second, you'll feel like you'd have no chance of squaring up a baseball from this position.

2. Your right wrist at the top of your backswing - if you stop the front on video when your hands are waist high and the club is perpendicular to the ground, look at your club face. It's in good position here (facing toward the camera). It should stay in that position to the top of your swing. But if you stop either video when the club is perpendicular to the ground at the top of your swing, the face is pointing toward the sky. That means from that position to the top of your swing, your bowing the back of your right hand which is opening the clubface.
From the address position, you want the club face to remain in that position in relation to your chest throughout your swing. Try taking your address position. From this position, keeping the clubface square to your target and maintaining the shaft angle, bring the butt end of the grip into your stomach. Now start your backswing. You'll notice that if you keep your lower body still and only turn your upper body, you'll only be able to get the club to about waist high. Notice the toe of the club is facing the sky, and the face is facing forward. Because this is as far as you can turn your upper body (if your lower body stays still), the clubface should remain in this position to the top of your swing. Because your right hand is bowing when you get to the top of your swing, your opening the clubface in relation to your chest.

3. If the assumption I made at the beginning of this is correct, you look like your set up a little closed to your target, and your swing does come a bit over the top. If I'm correct about your target line (4th fence post from the right of the screen), when I stop the video just after contact, the ball looks like it starts out in between the 4th and 5th posts. Your club head also goes left after contact. Again, if that 4th post is your target line, your club head should extend toward that post through the impact zone.
One last thing. Look at your setup from the front on shot. Notice where your right foot is. It needs to stay there. When you come through the impact zone to the top of your through swing, you're sliding it forward. From your address position, you can see the spot you've worn on the ground from sliding that foot forward.

All in all, these are minor adjustments that should help you be a little more consistent.

Ok, I've rambled enough. I hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything you don't understand (sometimes I don't explain things well when I'm trying to explain it in print :)).

Good luck

OP
extremeVFT03

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
Thank you for the advice MarkFed my wife was just alittle outside the target line I'm more aiming between the 3-4 post I pulled that drive pretty bad. I fight the club going left before and after impact. Also you were saying about the right foot sliding I was told along time ago to bring my right knee to my left as fast as I can. I feel like I'm pushing off with the right foot. I have tried to quit that down before but I feel like I lock my lower body up and have hard time getting the lower half turning. Thanks

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Mark's "location" says New England. Isn't Illinois part of New England? To us, Illionois is "back East". You guys are probably next door neighbors!!!!:D
Anything east of the Mississippi is New England.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Greg's being a weather A hole lately...nobody want's to be friends with him
Sad-dog-face.jpeg

I'm sure you guys will make up for it this summer.

🔥 Latest posts