• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fairway bunker rant

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
They talk about how the bomb and gouge is ruining the game yet these course designers make the courses for THEM!

Example; I play a county links (kinda) course called Ives Grove alot.

They have lots of wide (half way accross the fairway) raised up bunkers on the holes. One is raised about 40 feet high and huge. Almost 3/4 accross the fairway.

Guess what distance these are at? Yup! 200-250 yards.

Now if they wanted to help the hackers and give the bombers the fits, why aren't these out at 280-300 yards?

We would never have to worry about reaching them and those guys would have to "lay up".... :D It would kill their egos. The blue tees aren't that much farther back then the white so that makes little difference.

I should go into course design. I could make a course that the hacks of the world could make life miserable for the low cappers.....

Bwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahah..... :biglol:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Soooo....3 wood off the tee isn't an option if you can't fly the bunker?

R35

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
yah, i'd have to see the layout of the hole. if it's a short 4 or a par 5, stay short of the bunker? is hitting it straight an option?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Is this off the front, middle, or back tees? Perhaps it was 285 from the back, 240 from the middle, and 210 from the front. Sounds like a perfect design for a rsik reward to me.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Courses like that, I play back a set, or play the tips.. I'll show them!

Until I get a 631 yard par 5.. Then they stick it to my ass.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
WBL doesn't have to worry about those bunkers until they start putting them out in the right rough:D

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
When I play there I aim for the bunkers and try to carry them or get a good bounce over them at least.

WBL, one statement I don't agree with is the difference between tee boxes. On most of those holes there is easily 15-20 diff from Blue to white. Playing the whites I would easily carry all the FW bunkers. That's why I play blues, to put them in play. I have played out of those bunkers a lot. I take it as a sign to learn to hit the ball farther or suffer. Or as was said.... hit the fairway.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
When they built Ives Groves 250 yards was a huge tee shot.

Kevin

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
When they built Ives Groves 250 yards was a huge tee shot.

Kevin

For about 95% of the golfers in the world it still is. (according to the USGA and Frank Thomas anyway).

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I have played out of those bunkers a lot. I take it as a sign to learn to hit the ball farther or suffer. Or as was said.... hit the fairway.

Bob, how does one learn how to hit the ball further? I could practice all I want, work on swing mechanics, etc & still will never ever come close to hoe far yourself or Eric pounds the ball. Simply don't have the swing speed.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Well what you could do, is not hit it in the bunker. If a guy has a good enough and sufficiently fast swing to hit it a long way, you wont be able to do much to stop them.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Bob, how does one learn how to hit the ball further? I could practice all I want, work on swing mechanics, etc & still will never ever come close to hoe far yourself or Eric pounds the ball. Simply don't have the swing speed.

There must be a way, cause I hit it farther now than when I first started golfing. I actually hit it a tad shorter with this Rapture than with the Hibore, but more in play and less mishits. Anyways I believe I am not totally limited, don't know about you, but I could work on my swing and gain some yardage.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
For alot of us, speed isn't the real issue anyway. The issue is applying what speed we do have squarely to the back of the ball with the correct launch angle. Take care of that and the ball will go a lot farther than you'd think.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
WBL doesn't have to worry about those bunkers until they start putting them out in the right rough :D

Wi-Golfer

Eat me wi!! :) I cleared this bunker by 10 yards last week and it rolled out (downhill) to 285. Did I mention the 10 mph wind behind me? :thumbs up

And the tips were only 10 yards back from the white.

And you "lay up" with a 3-wood on a long par 5? My point is the bombers have no problem with this bunker and the guys that don't hit that long do which widens the gap and gives them an advantage they don't need. The only risk/reward is for the shorter hitter. There is none for the bomber.

🔥 Latest posts