• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fairway Wood help?

GaryO

Oct 7, 2006
Roseville, CA
Country
United States United States
I am 62 and am recently returning to the game. I hit the new drivers (R7 Draw) and irons (Callaway) ok enough to score around 100, but my fairway woods stink. As I look back over the years they always have. I have tried getting lesson help to no avail. I just can't hit them. Where do I go from here? Should I just remove the 3 wood from my bag and play without fairways? Thanks...

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
I am 62 and am recently returning to the game. I hit the new drivers (R7 Draw) and irons (Callaway) ok enough to score around 100, but my fairway woods stink. As I look back over the years they always have. I have tried getting lesson help to no avail. I just can't hit them. Where do I go from here? Should I just remove the 3 wood from my bag and play without fairways? Thanks...

you could go with a 18* hybrid instead

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States

Same age!! This is the age the game just begins to become fun. Don't let the fairway woods get under your skin!

You say your "fairway woods stink". In what way? Hooks... wormburners... ???? What personality traits do your fairway woods have that do not seem to be redeeming qualities?? And, what are you bagging for fairway woods?

You do mention you have always struggled with your fw's. If it has become a real mental issue, you may need to follow another poster's advice and go to hybrids. Sometimes the shorter shafts on the hybrids allow for better control and better ball striking. There should be some hybrids in used bins around your area. See if you can find a couple in the 15, 18, and 21 degree area to take for a test drive. Just knowing they aren't "fairway woods" may be enough to get you out of a rut and advancing the ball.

There are some remarkable fairway woods out there. The Exotics from Tour Edge have gotten rave reviews as to distance. Callaway has always been known for easy to hit fairway woods. Adams has been an inovator in fairway wood technology. But, the shaft technology that has evolved in the past few years makes matching fairway wood and shaft to your swing about as important as matching shaft to driver.

If all else fails, remember we are 62 years old. At least my short term memory is fading rapidly. If I hit one style of club bad today... I probably won't remember it tomorrow! So, soon, you will not even remember that you hit these fairway woods poorly! It'll be a whole new "ball game", each day you enjoy the game of golf!!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If all else fails, remember we are 62 years old. At least my short term memory is fading rapidly. If I hit one style of club bad today... I probably won't remember it tomorrow! So, soon, you will not even remember that you hit these fairway woods poorly! It'll be a whole new "ball game", each day you enjoy the game of golf!!

I had something really witty and humorous to say, but I can't follow this.

Golden Limp!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.