• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fairway wood or hybrid?

PeterMan

Jun 21, 2006
Just wondering what the consensus is here when it comes to a fairway wood vs. a hybrid?

For me, I never use a fairway wood on my home course, there is usually not much need, it is a short course, so when I find myself around the 250 range it is usually due to a poor drive. I most often hit my 3 hybrid or lay up if it is a par 5...

My 3 hybrid has 20 degrees of loft, I do not have a 5 wood, and my 3 wood has 15 degrees of loft... I should be hitting my 3 wood from this distance but I honestly have not hit it off the turf in years, and it is a very old Taylor Made Burner Bubble knock off, so it is not the best club...

So I am looking a good 5 wood or a #2 hybrid and I was just wondering what most feel the real difference is between the two types of clubs... My current 3 hybrid is a cheap knock off as well, so I am not putting much stock into either club...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I don't have the length to reach par 5's in two, so the only reason to use my 4-wood on them would be to hit a tight fairway off the tee. And that's not even a good reason, since my 3-hybrid is more reliable, and only gives up about 20 yards.

Par 4's? Same thing. If it's a really tight fairway I'll hit the 3-hybrid. Or the driver. I'm hitting that bloody thing so straight that there's almost no fairway I won't try try it on.

About the only time I use my 4W is if I've got 240 to a hazard that crosses the fairway, and I need to get as close to it as possible because of the length of the next shot.

OP
P

PeterMan

Jun 21, 2006
What loft is your 4 wood? I am looking at an 18 degree #2 hybrid, or 19 degree 5 wood...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
If you are looking for just one club to replace your 3 & 5 woods, then I recommend a Exotics CB1 4 wood (16.5° I think) or any of a number of hybrids: Nickent, Adams, Exotics.

If you want both 3 & 5 woods, (15° and 18°) then the Exotics CB1s are hard to beat and super easy to hit off the deck. When the stars are aligned properly and I manage to get all of the moving parts of my swing in the right sequence, even I am capable of hitting the 3 wood 240-250 off the deck, as long as it's downhill. :)

The CB1s are also much cheaper now that there are newer models available.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The Exotics CB1 4-wood that Siberian recommends is a spot-on choice.

Mine is a 17º Mizuno F50.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The CB1 4w is 16.5, although I find it almost as long at times as a 13* 3w.

Personal experience tells me that a hybrid plays about 2* weaker than a similar lofted FW. I play both, and from experience I would also say that it may be a good idea to taper them in sequence. So I would try to fill a gap between 2 FW's with a hybrid. Seems to make an easier transition for me to go from irons, to hybrids to FW's. I have also found anything under a 18* hybrid to be harder to hit and would rather use a FW.

My 18* baffler 21/R hybrid plays just a little shorter than my 21* CB1 7w and roughly the same distance as my old 20* G2 7w.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm seriously considering a 15* hybrid instead of a FW. I LOOOVE my 19* hybrid, which I bang out farther than I ever hit a 5 wood. My current 3W game is very weak.

A hybrid offers more control via a shorter shaft, and is usually more predictable due to the descending blow you SHOULD be using, versus a more lateral blow from a FW.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I prefer an iron-like hybrid. Ive never hit my fairway woods all that well, but Im pretty decent with my irons.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I personally prefer a fairway wood. I've tried a few hybrids in the 17-18* range and didn't like them. I carry a 13* TEE and a 17* TM200 Steel tour. It's all about having a club to hit the distance for me, bottom line. I hit 3iron about 210, 5W about 225 and 3W about 240, all carry. So the 4* difference in loft seems to work well for my yardages.

I also play courses with long par 3's. 220-230 is a very common par 3 yardage, the 5W is dead on it. I also use the 5W as well as the 13* on 2nd shots to par 5's frequently. Also, both see a ton of use off the tee on par 4's or par 5's I know I can't reach in 2.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I prefer my fairway woods, just haven't been able to fall in love with the hybrids yet. I did use my 5h today though, had a 185 yd par 3 & the longest iron I am carrying is my 5 which is good for about 175 max. Don't carry a 5w & my 4w will easily overshoot that distance. Then I remembered the 5h & figured "why the hell not give it a shot?". Stuck the damn thing on the green & the shot felt great, easily the best I have ever hit a hybrid.

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
I finally gave a hybrid a serious chance... It was a good club (Titliest 585 21 degrees loft) and easy to hit. The 3-iron came out of the bag. I played the hybrid for 20 to 30 rounds, and had many opportunities to use it. But I noticed accuracy was a problem compared to 3-iron... and I could not control the ball's trajectory like I could with my 3-iron.

I have a rescue wood, the venerable Callaway Steelhead 7 wood. The Steelhead is easier to work than the hybrid, I can hit it further when needed, and for some reason, it is more accurate. I use a 7 wood for all kinds of shots but best of all is second shots into par fives. The higher carry of the 7 wood is better for me because the ball stops quickly.

I know this is old technology, but I have yet to find anything more reliable than the old 7 wood, and I also found out I needed a 3-iron a lot more than a hybrid. I read somewhere this past year that a few Steelhead woods are still on the PGA tour. I sure like my 15 degree Steelhead 3 wood, but the 7 wood is a scoring weapon for sure. My hybrid is no longer in my bag.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I'm with Bakemono. I hit my 23* hybrid (no 19* hybrids for women) almost as far as I hit my (admittedly, not great) five wood. With more control. Right now, I don't even carry a fairway wood, though I'm going to test swing the PINGs next week.

OP
P

PeterMan

Jun 21, 2006
Excellent advice here thanks everyone, I am seriously considering the 4 wood option... my current 3 hybrid is newer and in better shape than my 3 wood so it makes sense to start there...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm with Bakemono. I hit my 23* hybrid (no 19* hybrids for women) almost as far as I hit my (admittedly, not great) five wood. With more control. Right now, I don't even carry a fairway wood, though I'm going to test swing the PINGs next week.
Raptures??

🔥 Latest posts