• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fairway wood or hybrid?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Excellent advice here thanks everyone, I am seriously considering the 4 wood option... my current 3 hybrid is newer and in better shape than my 3 wood so it makes sense to start there...

Good choice. There are so many good ones to choose from. My personal favorites would be Tour Edge CB1, Taylormade 200steel or Vsteel. The 200's and the Vsteel can be found for real cheap and are as easy as it gets to hit a 16.5* club off the fairway, tee or even rough. TEE is a very similar head as to playability and a little longer (very hot off the face). I'd personally play a TEE instead of my TM200 5W but it would be too long. Too close to my 13* and leaving a gap to my 3i.

A lot depends on your personal ability combined with course needs. I play a 13* for several reasons. I've got a fairly high SS and decent striking so elevating it is not an issue, courses I play are 6600-7K yards and finally I basically suck with driver accuracy compared to low cap players but can make a ton of that up with my SS. More or less I probably outdrive 85-90% of the guys I've played with, with 3w vs. thier driver. Now figure I'm hitting just over 30% faiways with driver this year and just under 70% of fairways with 3W and it's a no brainer, hit the 3W unless there is a damn good reason to hit driver.

The key is to build your bag to suit your game and needs out there on the courses/tees you play. This changed for me over the last few years as I got better and started playing the hardest courses I could afford. I made the adjustments based solely on that.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I dont even carry a 3-wood anymore. Ive got a 2-hybrid (18*) and while I do give up some distance, its far more accurate that any 3-wood Ive ever owned.
I'll take 220 yards in the fairway over 240 yards in the trees any day.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I haven't even seen a 4W in my life...
You're really missing out then - much easier to hit off the deck than a 3 wood and longer than a 5 wood - plus, dumping the 3/5 woods for the 4 wood makes room in the bag for another wedge.
Most players don't have the swingspeed for a 3 wood off the deck anymore anyway - years ago, the 3 wood had 16 or so degrees of loft - now, we're calling 16.5* clubs "4-woods" and 3 woods have gotten down in the 13-15* range or so and have become too difficult for too many players to hit consistently

From looking at your signature, it would appear you have a large gap between your 3 wood and your 4 iron - ever find yourself wishing you had another club?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
From looking at your signature, it would appear you have a large gap between your 3 wood and your 4 iron - ever find yourself wishing you had another club?

I hit my 4i around 200yds, and the 3w about 230yd. Never has been an issue, but I will take the advice and try to demo a 4W and see how it works like...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Of course. The V2s, or whatever the new ones are.
We like reviews here. Even from women. And by that I don't mean that a woman's opinion is inferior to a man's, I just mean that there aren't many women on this board, and of course a club built for a woman is - no no not the neanderthal kind of club! I didn't mean that at all. I admit I can sound a bit like an uncultured hairy-backed crudely drawn animation character, but really that's not what I meant at all. I just meant that the club, even though it's made for a woman, has certain elements in it that translate across gender boundaries - yes, we must reach out across the boundaries that have kept us apart for so long, reach out and share our experiences so that...so that....

What were we talking about? Oh yeah. We like reviews here.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I just meant that the club, even though it's made for a woman, has certain elements in it that translate across gender boundaries -

New from Secret, golf clubs strong enough for a man but made for a woman.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
We like reviews here. Even from women. And by that I don't mean that a woman's opinion is inferior to a man's, I just mean that there aren't many women on this board, and of course a club built for a woman is - no no not the neanderthal kind of club! I didn't mean that at all. I admit I can sound a bit like an uncultured hairy-backed crudely drawn animation character, but really that's not what I meant at all. I just meant that the club, even though it's made for a woman, has certain elements in it that translate across gender boundaries - yes, we must reach out across the boundaries that have kept us apart for so long, reach out and share our experiences so that...so that....

What were we talking about? Oh yeah. We like reviews here.

Eracer, you need more coffee! Yes, of course I'll report back. Who was it who referred to the irons as some weird art on a stick?

It's fun being such a minority here--I always feel like the only girl at the prom. But I can't comment one way or the other about the state of your back.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I'm with Bakemono. I hit my 23* hybrid (no 19* hybrids for women) almost as far as I hit my (admittedly, not great) five wood. With more control. Right now, I don't even carry a fairway wood, though I'm going to test swing the PINGs next week.

Look at Adams stuff, they make left handed ladies clubs and the A3 wrings every last inch out of my fat old man swing (that you can time with an hour glass). I bet you'll like 'em.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eracer, you need more coffee! Yes, of course I'll report back. Who was it who referred to the irons as some weird art on a stick?

It's fun being such a minority here--I always feel like the only girl at the prom. But I can't comment one way or the other about the state of your back.
I think you mean LESS coffee. I just couldn't stop my fingers from typing. It was like automatic writing, only with a keyboard. Want to dance? Do you do the fandango?
icon10.gif

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I think you mean LESS coffee. I just couldn't stop my fingers from typing. It was like automatic writing, only with a keyboard. Want to dance? Do you do the fandango?
icon10.gif

I don't understand the concept of too much coffee. And I'll dance anything, but I get to lead.;) Which should come as no surprise.

🔥 Latest posts