• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fairway wood or hybrid?

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
I'm currently torn between buying a 7-wood, or a 22* hybrid (a TM Rescue Dual). They're one degree different in loft, so that's not really a big deal, but I was just wondering if I should go with the hybrid instead of the wood.

I like the hybrid idea to play when in the rough, since it seems like it would be a more playable club... also it would be the transition club between my woods and irons (equivalent to a 3-iron).

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I play a 23* SonartecMD hybrid. I use it for a variety of shots and lies I don't think I could pull off with a fairway wood or long iron.

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Thanks for the feedback guys... I don't want to look like a 'girlie-man', so it looks like the hybrid it is. :D

Would I be better off with a 22* or a 25* Rescue Dual? I have (or soon 'had') a 24* Firesole Rescue, and it was a lot easier to hit than my other Firesole Rescue that was an 18*.

I figure it's pretty much the difference between a 3-iron and 4-iron in loft, but I want to make the right choice. :)

Thanks again.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I carry both

And could give a flip if that makes me a girlie man. They both hit the ball very differently, the hybrid flight is much lower than the 7 wood.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Just got rid of my 25*. Not much gap between that and the 23*. I can choke down on the 23* to hit it 10-15 yards shorter but couldn't get more out of the 25*. I actually preferred to hit the 23*. A 22* will give you a good gap from a 5w. I go 5w, 23*, right to 5i.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
7 wood baby!! today at practice on a par 5 i was in the rough after the tee shot (really need to get that launcher....) about 200 out, definitely not the best of lies, kinda down in the rough, but i figured its practice, what the hell, confident hard swing and the head just rips through the turf and finds the ball, needless to say, 15 footer for eagle....

its all a matter of preference, i can't stand hybrids so i go with either a 7 or 5 wood depending on course conditions. hit all you can and see what you like best, everyone can laugh at you having a 7 wood etc, but lets see who's laughing when you've stuffed yet another shot next to the pin...

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
I didn't mean the 'girlie-man' thing seriously, which is why I put it in ''. :D

I like the idea of a hybrid, simply because it seems to be pretty versatile, doubling either as a wood or iron depending on what you need at the moment.

My 5-wood is my 180-200yd. club, since my swing speed isn't really that fast on anything but my driver, so I'd pretty much be looking at 160-180 on a 7-wood, whereas I can hit about 200 with my 3-iron (which is comparable to the 22* hybrid).

I'm still on the fence, so it's nice to get feedback from both sides. :)

Thanks.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Youngun5 said:
7 wood baby!! today at practice on a par 5 i was in the rough after the tee shot (really need to get that launcher....) about 200 out, definitely not the best of lies, kinda down in the rough, but i figured its practice, what the hell, confident hard swing and the head just rips through the turf and finds the ball, needless to say, 15 footer for eagle....

its all a matter of preference, i can't stand hybrids so i go with either a 7 or 5 wood depending on course conditions. hit all you can and see what you like best, everyone can laugh at you having a 7 wood etc, but lets see who's laughing when you've stuffed yet another shot next to the pin...

So did you make the birdie?? :)

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
tough putt for eagle that i didn't read well at all, left myself a straight uphill 5 footer for birdie that i drained. so yes, but that was basically my only bright point of the day, it was raining and i felt sick the whole time. just kinda saving myself for regionals on wednesday, i really think i have a good shot at qualifying for state. details to follow....

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Well, I went over to the range tonight, and tried out a Rescue Dual with neutral bias, 19 degree, with an R-flex shaft, and it was really nice...
I took a couple of warmup swings, and hit the next ten balls with no shanks at all, and hit 7 out of 10 straight, and 3 at a slight draw.

So, it looks like we have a winner... if I can hit the 19* that easily, the 22* should be even easier.

It's a really nice club, and compared to the Firesole rescue clubs I had, it hits like a dream.

Thanks again for all your input, and nice hit there Youngun... I can't wait til I can get to the point where I can make shots like that. :)

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Oh, and if anybody is interested, there's Rescue Dual's going on ebay for $99 + $20 shipping for 22* in R-flex, and 25* in R and S-flex. Only thing is that they have steel shafts and not graphite. They come with headcovers.

Here's the links:

22* R-flex:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TaylorMade-Rescue-Dual-4-22-R-Steel-RH-NEW_W0QQitemZ7241200144QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

25* R-flex:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TaylorMade-Rescue-Dual-5-25-R-Steel-RH-NEW_W0QQitemZ7241200742QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

25* S-flex:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TaylorMade-Rescue-Dual-5-25-S-Steel-RH-NEW_W0QQitemZ7241201340QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I picked up the 22* R-flex, now I'm gonna have to brave the wrath of my wife, but that comes with the territory. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.