• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fake 2009 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedge?

curvecrazy

Mar 24, 2009
I bought this wedge on ebay. I noticed it has 16 grooves instead of the standard 15. It has the milled face and everything but seems to one too many grooves. Everything looks pretty much exactly like a 2009 spin milled otherwise. The stickers for the shaft seem exactly authentic. The shafts have the same spacing on them. The club heads appear the same size and height. The number on the back the club looks fuzzy a bit like it was done with a dull tool instead of a sharp one like some I saw in the store. And besides having one extra groove the grooves appear narrower but I don't have a mic to measure it.

The guy at Golf Galaxy says the UPC number doesn't come up in his system as a legit club. He said if it was legit it would come up cause they have the numbers of all the clubs in the system.

A golf pro said it may be a japanese market version??? Huh?

Has anyone come across any fake 2009 vokey spin milled wedges? Any advice on discerning if it's fake?

ps... sorry for this to be my first post. Just wanted to see if anyone had info on these. Thanks

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Get the serial number and call Titleist. There are tons of fake clubs on the market that do some out of asia.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sounds like it's quacking... Sorry to hear that. It's a shame since they are going for $99 at a lot of places that are legit dealers.

OP
C

curvecrazy

Mar 24, 2009
If you don't mind me asking... which/who has em for $99?

I called Titleist and waiting for a callback from them. Thanks for all replies.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
hate that for ya........theres some asses on eBay....ya gotta be careful.

OP
C

curvecrazy

Mar 24, 2009
Apparently its all good. I googled Titleist and contacted the california R&D phone number. They checked the club hozzle number and it is indeed a legitimate spin mill club. Apparently the earlier versions did have 16 grooves and they decided to take away one which was at the top the club face anyways and they determined unimportant and unsightly apparently. So they went 15 grooves on later clubs.

Or... the guy was BS'ing me to get rid of me. The spin milled earlier were 15 grooves. So why would they go to 16 grooves on a small number of clubs and then back to 15 grooves?

I've no idea but my golf is probably not good enough to worry about it. LOL

This club did look too good to be fake compared those in the store. I got two other spin mills on ebay too and all have good numbers. fwiw You do have to be careful. George

memorama

Mar 27, 2009
Apparently its all good. I googled Titleist and contacted the california R&D phone number. They checked the club hozzle number and it is indeed a legitimate spin mill club. Apparently the earlier versions did have 16 grooves and they decided to take away one which was at the top the club face anyways and they determined unimportant and unsightly apparently. So they went 15 grooves on later clubs.

Or... the guy was BS'ing me to get rid of me. The spin milled earlier were 15 grooves. So why would they go to 16 grooves on a small number of clubs and then back to 15 grooves?

I've no idea but my golf is probably not good enough to worry about it. LOL

This club did look too good to be fake compared those in the store. I got two other spin mills on ebay too and all have good numbers. fwiw You do have to be careful. George<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://photozbucket.com/pages/3346/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://photozbucket.com/pages/3346/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

There are still plenty of reputable sellers on ebay, just know that they're there for the long run and avoid 0 feedbacks.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.