• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fake R9-off of Ebay

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
So I bought an R9 got it yesterday. Took it to the course showed it to the pro and a TM rep who just happened to be there. Completely bogus. I knew it when I saw the head cover and grip. The head cover was the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen. It weighed like 2 oz and had zero padding and didn't look anything like the real head cover.

The grip was the old TM Arrow reminder grip which if you think about it make no sense with a shaft that you would rotate.

The shaft itself is also fake, the R9 graphics which should be darker grey are barely able to be seen. There is also a holograph which the rep said he has never seen.

The head was pretty good, there is some paint spots that they didn't do a good job cleaning up which you can kind of see in the picture. The FCT ferrule is terrible though, the letters are upside down and there is no collar at the end of the black plastic piece as there are on the "real" versions at my club.

The serial number is also etched very large in comparison to most of the real models at the club also. Some of the real models serials were a little larger but not as big as the fake. There were also arrows or notches on the head pointing towards the black ferrule/collar on the real versions. On my fake there were neither.

Hopefully this helps someone else not buy one. Luckily the seller knows he's caught and said he would issue a refund if I returned the club. I told him I was going through pay-pal without a doubt and I filed a claim and he seems to be ok with everything. We'll see how it goes. I should get all the money back though.
View attachment 11491

View attachment 11490

View attachment 11487

View attachment 11488

View attachment 11489

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Oh yeah the pictures he showed were of a different club.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
did he show stock photos of an R9 or did he take his own pics of a real R9?

curious.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Real pictures of an R9. I wouldn't buy anything without real pictures.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
hmmm. that means his intent was to rip you off. but, glad you're getting your money back.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I haven't bought anything off Ebay in a while. I buy off here or WRX. Prices are cheaper and you deal with someone who is usually just like you. Just another club ho selling the one that didn't do it for them.

Sorry to hear about the R9. Hope everything goes OK with getting your $$ back.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Rock that's one of the reasons I bought it. He said he used it on the range and for 2 9 hole outings. The plastic was removed and the pictures were of the face sole and the shaft. If I would have saw the grip I would have passed immediately.

Pay-Pal told me to send the club back with signature confirmation and insurance and I'll get my refund 100%. So we'll see.

bytehoven

Apr 30, 2009
I received a fake R9 today as well. Mine also had the light grayserial number close to your number (92GW05P3). Store R9s had a slightly larger and white SN#.

Same issues with Hosel sleeve + magnetic bolt, angles were wrong the designated settings, washer was missing.

Yellow torque wrench.

Poor paint job compared local R9s, including the black paint not being as dark, as it was more like a very dark gray.

Motore 65 S shaft had a similar hologram, but you could also see the graphics under the gel coat were poorly wrapped.

Seller said he received it from a TM rep at a golf tournament but is taking back the club without a fuss.

EDIT: Does anyone know the official weight of the various R9 heads? That might also be a good way to determine what's factory or counterfeit.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I would buy anything from E-bay.

As long as it's not NEW.

I wouldn't touch anything new on E-bay if it was free.

R35

I wouldn't go quite that far. I bought my 12º Exotics driver head new on ebay for $90 still in the shrinkwrap from Tour Edge. I bought my CB1 4w for $99 new on ebay. I will say that both times the guy had an ebay golf shop and was an authorized dealer for Tour Edge. You just have to be careful, generally if the seller has a brick and mortar shop somewhere and is an authorized dealer for the brand you're looking at then you will be ok.

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
wow- hopefully you get cash back and he is labeled as a crook.
and yes- buy from a licensed dealer.. been in talks with a few reps i deal with. the OEM's are buying stuff off ebay to check .. about 60% of the product was fake. buy from a dealer my brothers and sisters...

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I would buy anything from E-bay.

As long as it's not NEW.

I wouldn't touch anything new on E-bay if it was free.

R35

It's a personal decision, but I believe if you do your homework on volume and % it's pretty safe. My iron set and last two putters have come from eBay and all my daughters clubs as well. They are 100% authentic as verified by my club builder.

I always do a double take when I see someone with '0' transactions or an ad that sounds like it was written by a 2 year old. Smells of a fenced good.

Oh well, all I can say is that I'm pleased with my eBay club purchases of both new and used.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
So I bought an R9 got it yesterday. Took it to the course showed it to the pro and a TM rep who just happened to be there. Completely bogus. I knew it when I saw the head cover and grip. The head cover was the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen. It weighed like 2 oz and had zero padding and didn't look anything like the real head cover.

The grip was the old TM Arrow reminder grip which if you think about it make no sense with a shaft that you would rotate.

The shaft itself is also fake, the R9 graphics which should be darker grey are barely able to be seen. There is also a holograph which the rep said he has never seen.

The head was pretty good, there is some paint spots that they didn't do a good job cleaning up which you can kind of see in the picture. The FCT ferrule is terrible though, the letters are upside down and there is no collar at the end of the black plastic piece as there are on the "real" versions at my club.

The serial number is also etched very large in comparison to most of the real models at the club also. Some of the real models serials were a little larger but not as big as the fake. There were also arrows or notches on the head pointing towards the black ferrule/collar on the real versions. On my fake there were neither.

Hopefully this helps someone else not buy one. Luckily the seller knows he's caught and said he would issue a refund if I returned the club. I told him I was going through pay-pal without a doubt and I filed a claim and he seems to be ok with everything. We'll see how it goes. I should get all the money back though.
View attachment 11491

View attachment 11490

View attachment 11487

View attachment 11488

View attachment 11489
Do you have this guys ebay screen name by chance so I can not only look him up, but block him so when I search I don't inadvertently pull up one of his auctions? Thanks

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.