• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fake R9-off of Ebay

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
JUST HAD A CUSTOMER come in this weekend with a FAKE R9 sleeve. :smilie_tm i was like your kidding me.. i have a few TP sleeves here. and he wanted me to shaft it up for him.. as soon as i saw it- i knew it was done. and than after a comparison with the legit ones i have AND the fact it did not even set in the head right. the little settings did not line up or match to set the face as is. $40 on the bay- some cat from VA area. -- soo look out!!!

bytehoven

Apr 30, 2009
I have an update from Taylor Made.

The weight of an empty 10.5* head should be 182 grams +/- 3 grams. The 9.5 & 8.5 heads may weigh less, I'm not sure.

The serial number on the head should have an arrow pointing toward the shaft. Color of the serial number print can vary but the font should be the same as on any store club.

The decals on the shrink wrap are a silver brushed foil on back.

The plastic club bag has the Taylor Made logo, patent numbers, a product # info decal and a red tie.

The very tip of the sleeve adapter should have a 8 for a .335 and 7 for a .350 adapter, and you should see grooves in the spaces between the tip lugs.

The grip should read Taylor Made FCT on the butt and there should be nothing but white lines at the butt and tip ends of the grip.

The TaylorMade shaft label near the tip should have the part # with club info and website info. The shaft should also have a short ferrule before the sleeve adapter and the Motore shaft should have the R9 grayed back in the silver portion of the shaft.

The wrench should be white with black on top of the handle.

The head cover should have a rubber FCT logo attached to the sewn in cross braided/check band which also wraps around the sides of the head cover. There is red thread used to sew in this part. The rest of the cover is black valour with thread stitched lettering & numbers, faux white leather with a crinkle pattern, silver ribbing where the pieces come together and black sock that has a check like pattern with a 9202 "Made in China" label on the inside flap.

When you call to check the serial number with Taylormade at 1800 888 2582, it will match up with a batch of Taylor Made clubs.

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I'm looking at a .350 adapter that has 17 and a TP that has an 18. These numbers are etched in the top of the adapter.

I know these are legit they directly from a TM Rep that I'm very close with.

The rest is spot on though. Good write up.

powerwav

Jul 16, 2009
Hi, I also bought a fake r9 off of ebay, luckly I'm getting my money back.
I took the club to Taylormade, I live next to Carlsbad. The nice lady that work there looked it over with me for about 45mins and she compared it with the real r9. She said that mine was a very good fake and they seem to be getting better each time she sees them. I'll try to explain the best I can without pics.

1. The FCT logo: The little white dot next to the red ball is much smaller than the real. (The white peice that goes into the little red ball) you will see that there is alittle black circle where the white pecie goes into the circle. The real black circle is much smaller, the fake black circle is bigger.

2. Hard to describe: but when you flip the club upside down so you can see the bottom of the club where it says r9. just above it the overall shape of the club seem bublely compared to a moe sleeker look.
The paint on the r & 9 is different If I rember correctly the red I think is darker ( you need to have the real club to compare) also underneath the r the space under it on the chrome is longer than the fake one.

3. if you remove the weights you will see the hole diamanters are different. The housing where the weights go into are also different, as I said before you really need to compare it with the real deal, but there are things to look for.

4. the creases above the two painted with parts go alittle longer than the fake and also has a sleeker look to it.

5. if you remove the shaft and look at the tp logo on the sleeve you will see the white line is not as long as the real and the tp is different.

6. She also said that you may hear a rattle when you hit it.

thats all I can think of right now but you have to look closely with the real, if anything is off it is fake dont just thing that they make some different.

Hopes this helps.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.