• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Faldo Burner Irons Commercial

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Anybody seen this commercial where he says "If I really Lampoon One"....... He hits it 195 yards and claims its 25 yards longer than his irons. If you look at the fine print that flashes up quickly at the end of the commercial it says the test club was a 4 iron. So are we to believe that Faldo only hits his 4-iron 170 yards?

My standard swing with my 4-iron with my Titleist blades yields 195 yards. If I go after one I can get 205 out of a 4-iron and I'm sure Faldo can too.

If you don't see that fine print you might think he just hit a 5, 6 or 7-iron 195 yards.

They may be great irons but that is one hokie commercial.

Lefty_SnowBird

Jul 6, 2009
Who wants to gain 25 yards on their irons anyway?? Wtf are you gonna use from 120 yards when your SW goes 150?

I could understand that from a 20+ handicapper who hits his 5 iron 150 yards but from Faldo? No point at all.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I'd missed the fine print, but that does make it even more ridiculous. I haven't checked, but I'd bet money that the degrees are set at super strong anyway.

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
Not only are they delofted, I was playing with a guy the other day that had them, standard length and they are long. Mine play at +1.25 and they were just as long as mine. They do hit nice though.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah... if you actually get fitted for them, length, loft, and lie, you won't notice a damn thing.

Faldo is so funny. "I'm gonna give it my Sunday best!" What a tool.

They are pretty nice looking irons. And they hit well. But like all things, there is no magic to them. They're irons. If you can hit irons well, you'll hit these well. They're a little more forgiving than some, I guess. But they're exactly what they look like.

Which is exactly what they've been for years, and years, and years.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Stronger lofts, and longer lengths.. Some complain it's cheating.. I don't think you can "cheat" in golf, based off the fact that your 5i might be a different loft, or longer than mine.

Nice looking irons, but it's all along the same point that drivers are getting longer and longer.. Notice the uptrend in longer clubs now, eh?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
So what if they are longer in distance. Being longer in length, means they won't be as accurate. So instead of hitting your 8 iron 150 yards in the fairway, you hit it 175 into the rough or woods. This is better how? And if your PW is now 40º, you have a huge gap between it and your SW, right?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I am entirely unconcerned with the length of a players' clubs. Sometimes longer clubs can make a person MORE accurate, if standard clubs, for one reason or another, contort the person into an uncomfortable position and compromise the swing.

You have clubs built as long as you can make use of them. Hit it as far as you can without sacrificing accuracy. A regular loft 8 iron that's 2" longer than standard, struck well, will allow a player a better chance at holding the green than if he were to use a 6i from the same place. Assuming he can still hit the club correctly (not likely.)

🔥 Latest posts