• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Famous club pros

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I've just found out that the first club professional at my town golf club was none other than Harry Vardon. Two months after he left the club he won the Open for the first time.

OK, this might not be interesting to you but I like this sort of stuff. Any of you had club pro's that have gone on to make it big in the game?

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
it gets better! Apparently he was appointed to the club as their Greenkeeper and started playing golf when he had a bit of spare time. Apparently it was common at that time for the Greenkeeper and pro' to be one and the same person. Imagine that happening now Charnockpro! LOL

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Tell me about it

I could never begin to know anything about agronomy, but club members do!!! , always asking why we are tining the greens, why have we topdressed the greens???

We have a famous player who is a pro now at Southport and Ainsdale "Jim Payne" Ex European tour.

And one of my golf buddies as a junior was Lee Slattery who won the challenge tour last year but lost his card on the main tour this year!!!

🔥 Latest posts