• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Farewell Hogans

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Have had to accept that I need more help - not much maybe but some. So I am after some new irons. I want forged but with some forgiveness. As I am fighting hooks not sure offset is the way to go and I don't want to spend a fortune until I get my game back on track, so am after a used set for now.

I really have lost lost all confidence in my FTXs and need (yes...NEED) to find a new set up.

Thoughts on the sets below please - they seem to be the best bet

Titleist 755/804
Cobra SS Forged
Srixon i-601

I don't want too many on my list but if you can think of any other sets that are good value used fire away.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I am kinda in the same boat as you. I blew up my bag and sold everything except my putter. I am taking a break, probably won't play again this season and will start fresh next year.

I like the look of both the 755's and the 804's, I don't know how much more forgiving they will be but nice clubs that can be had at a decent price. If you want to stay with Hogan, check out the Apex Edge Pro's, much more forgiving and still decent looking, little offset and forged-overall nice clubs that can be found at decent prices.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Bridgestone J36 cavities, forged with no offset, and yet some help from the perimeter weighting

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Too much lucre Dave, I'm just looking for a cheap set for now. Like under £200.

Going to have a scan today and see what's ending on fleabay

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I'm going to cast a vote for Srixon's. I love the way my 501's feel and look.

wb4tjh

Dec 12, 2008
Looking for some cheaper, but well made clubs? Check out the forged stainless steel clubs from Diamond Tour Golf. I have a set of their Henry Hatton DTG-5 irons, and they are sweet and only about $220 U.S.,custom made to mine or anybody's specs. They are soft feeling, easy to hit irons, and they have them from blades to full cavity backs. I have several other, much more expensive iron sets, including MacGregors, Clevelands and Hogans, but these play as well as any of them. They're worth a look.

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks guys - I'm not sure the RAC TPs are that easy to hit and the Diamond Golf gear is not quite what I'm looking for but I am grateful for the ideas.

I do like the TMs though - maybe when I get my game back on song they could be goers. Just after a cheap and cheerful set for the winter really.

I am warming towards the Cobras.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Any idea where to find specs on older Cobra model irons? I looked on their website but all I could see were this years models. Titleist website maybe?

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Settled on a set of Cobra SS Forged.

They are nice condition but the grips are a bit worn but I have a set of Sharpros handy for that.

Think I will do some mods myself - will need to extend the shafts 1/4 inch or so - but will get that checked first. Need a decent shaft cutter for that, not sure which one to go for - seen some at £5 and some at £10-12 - I guess it's the ususal story that the cheap ones will be...well...cheap and the slightly more expensive ones better...anyone know much about this?

Had 50 balls with them so far - nice soft faces and happy overall at this stage. They are easier to handle than the FTXs and that was what I was after.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Settled on a set of Cobra SS Forged.

They are nice condition but the grips are a bit worn but I have a set of Sharpros handy for that.

Think I will do some mods myself - will need to extend the shafts 1/4 inch or so - but will get that checked first. Need a decent shaft cutter for that, not sure which one to go for - seen some at £5 and some at £10-12 - I guess it's the ususal story that the cheap ones will be...well...cheap and the slightly more expensive ones better...anyone know much about this?

Had 50 balls with them so far - nice soft faces and happy overall at this stage. They are easier to handle than the FTXs and that was what I was after.

Goto B&Q and get a pipe cutter... £10 for the top bollox one.

🔥 Latest posts