• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FBR Rant...here goes...

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I enjoy watching that hole. I think it is exciting and fun to watch. It is only one hole in one tournament so I really don't think it is that big of a deal.

ProjectX

They said it'd get better
Sep 1, 2004
Why is this a big deal now? When I lived in AZ, all the golf fans talked about how crazy it was at the 16th hole of TPC Scottsdale during the tournament. That was 10 years ago. It's the coverage that's changed, not the event.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Oooooooooh. Time warp. Indeed does feel like GR about 2 years back.

As far as corrupting the game, it's a pretty laughable supposition. The game is going to go forward on its own, as it always has. It has a life of its own, and will evolve. Change or keep your piece the way it is, it's up to you. The beauty of the game actually. Certainly, the PTB laughed at Ouimet before he waxed Vardon. Part of the process.

Personally, that par 3 has some good history, and some embarrassment. One thing for sure, tho, the hole tests your powers of concentration. It may be the only venue on tour where the players get to feel how players in other sports feel--like all the eyes in the world are on them, and them alone. That makes Tiger's ace on that hole all the more impressive.

Then again, he wasn't worried about camera phones back then. :laugh:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I see nothing wrong with that tournament, actually I like watching it. I think it’s great to have fun with crowds like that. Golf is a gentlemen’s sport, but it’s also a sport none the less and different venues offer different things. I don’t find much difference in the stadium style over people lining the fairways and greens anyway. I tell you what, I would like a chance to step up and hit one in front of all those fans. As for people yelling and getting into it, there is not one person golfing there who doesn’t know that’s coming and most have lots of fun with it. It’s just like golfing with your buddy and when he hits a bad shot giving him a little lip, that’s can have the same effect and is that any more gentlemen like? They are pro’s and in any other sport fans are allowed to voice opinions. I think it’s great.

I just hope it stays only at that. Yes, it's fun, and different, I just hope it doesn't get any worse. A slippery slope if you ask me.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Whew.

I wouldn't want to see every tournament adopt the format, but I don't mind a single hole at one tourney.

I like a little experimentation. I'd like to see formats where all players use the same ball, or same type equipment, or older equipment, just to challenge them.

And I like to see some of the courses set up tough.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You're young, so you'll see it.

Guys like WBL and Sssmokin' might not tho. :D

R35

Thank God!! :D

I do see your point in this thread though. I kind of stood with my mouth agape watching Daly hit his drive and then these crowds shouting like he just scored a touchdown!! You da man!! And then they did a "wave"! My God, what game were they playing? Long driving contests was a good description.. :laugh:

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
Never thought I'd say this but compared to the last 2 EuroTour tournaments the last 2 PGA tournaments were a total bore. Cheering/Sledging section or not.

The last 2 Euro tournaments were so good even my wife stayed up to find out who won and she hates golf. Every PGA event this year has failed to hold my interest.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
You'd think for how many times you post that at least once you'd be right about something! Not only was Vijay there, but Mickelson, Toms, Olazabal, DiMarco, Immelman, Ogilvy, Cink, and Weir....hardly the John Friggin Deere Classic!

And you are dead on every time.... good for you. Those names you listed were where???? Phil didn't even make the cut, so you sure can't be talking about him. Don't know about the rest, none were on the leaderboard where it counts, on page one.... maybe in the field, but not in sight on Sunday. Something about that tournament doesn't seem to favor the usual big guns. Maybe the stadium atmosphere.... hmmmmmm... now there's a thought. You may feel that it levels the field, I think it diminishes it... different strokes. I reserve the right to MY opinion, and you are welcome to yours.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Something about that tournament doesn't seem to favor the usual big guns. Maybe the stadium atmosphere.... hmmmmmm...

Recent previous winners include

Phil Mickelson 2005, 1996
Vijay Singh 2003, 1995
Chris DiMarco 2002
Mark Calcavecchia 2001, 1992, 1989
Tom Lehman 2000

Top 10 finishers include

Tiger Woods
Davis Love
Retief Goosen
John Daly
Vijay singh
Phil Mickelson
Mike Weir
Justin Leonard

Seems to me these big guns didnt seem to mind the stadium atmosphere

This doesnt even include Arnies 4 wins, a couple by Jack, a few By Johnny Miller, and the list goes on.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Now Lyle, don't stretch too far. Golf watching was a different animal in Arny and Jack's time.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I know, thats why I stuck mainly with the last 10-15 years for the most part.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.