• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fed Ex Cup winner - who will it be?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States

If memory serves me the Fed Ex Cup was created to boost interest towards the end of the season. Its not working.

Actually, I think the FedEx Cup was created to keep the BIG names playing at the end of the season, hoping that would draw more of a TV audience.

Not the tour's fault that the BIG name can only occasionally make a cut and won't be playing the Tour Championship.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I personally like the fed-ex cup. I like the idea of having payoffs for the pga. I find it surprising that so many people dislike the idea. I'm a huge golf fan though. I would bet that the people who don't care about the fed-ex cup also don't watch much of the majors until the final round. Just a hunch.

Anyway, I like Stricker, I would love to see him win it. I really like D Johnson too. I'll be tuned in.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
What bothers me about the FedEx Cup is that it was "created" by a sponsor to be the biggest golf event of the year. It's artificial. IMHO nothing can be created that will take away from the Masters, the US Open, The British Open and the PGA. Those tournaments are where champions are made. The FedEx cup championship means nothing really. It's just nice for the pros because they can make some more money.

Now the Ryder Cup is enjoyable because they aren't playing for money but for their team. I love the Ryder Cup.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Actually, I think the FedEx Cup was created to keep the BIG names playing at the end of the season, hoping that would draw more of a TV audience.

Not the tour's fault that the BIG name can only occasionally make a cut and won't be playing the Tour Championship.

Actually it wasn't just the ONE big name this year who fell flat. Was reading yesterday that Lefty had 10, yes TEN, chances to take over the #1 spot and was never even close.

I personally like the fed-ex cup. I like the idea of having payoffs for the pga. I find it surprising that so many people dislike the idea. I'm a huge golf fan though. I would bet that the people who don't care about the fed-ex cup also don't watch much of the majors until the final round. Just a hunch.

Anyway, I like Stricker, I would love to see him win it. I really like D Johnson too. I'll be tuned in.

I could care less about the Fed Ex cup, and yes you are correct, I only watch the final round of majors. it's not becuase I don't love the sport and am not a good fan. I just don't have time to devote 6+ hourse (and that's what it is) to watching golf on a Thurs, Fri or Sat. Even on Sunday I have a hard time watching that much golf at once, its just a busy life style once you have kids etc. So if I don't have time to watch that much golf when majors are on, what do you think the chances of watching the ABC Open or the XYZ invitational are. It's not that I am not interested, I just don't have time. And adding the FED EX point race ala Nascar didn't change that.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I only watch the final round of majors. I just don't have time to devote 6+ hourse (and that's what it is) to watching golf on a Thurs, Fri or Sat. Even on Sunday I have a hard time watching that much golf at once, its just a busy life style once you have kids etc. It's not that I am not interested, I just don't have time.

Hey I'm not knocking you Jim...to each his own.

If you like something, you will make time. I have DVR and record all the events. I skip through and it takes maybe about 2 hours for me to watch each day. Sunday of a major is a different story, unless I have to work, I'm tuned in watching it live. My wife knows that those 4 Sundays out of the year, I'm grilling, drinking beer and watching golf. My son is right there with me... he yells for putts to fall more than I do.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Hey I'm not knocking you Jim...to each his own.

If you like something, you will make time. I have DVR and record all the events. I skip through and it takes maybe about 2 hours for me to watch each day. Sunday of a major is a different story, unless I have to work, I'm tuned in watching it live. My wife knows that those 4 Sundays out of the year, I'm grilling, drinking beer and watching golf. My son is right there with me... he yells for putts to fall more than I do.

I didn't take it as a knock. I too DVR events and watch them if I have time. I must admit I have lost interest a bit in the lesser PGA Tour events over the last year or 2. They just don't captivate me like they used to. I think it has to do with the reality setting in that I will never play in one of those events, LOL!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
How about this? Re-read the original post, including what this thread is about. You & your buddy Fisher are trolling. Start another thread if you want to put crap on the Fed Ex Cup. Nuff said.

You sound like that cry baby who didn't want people to curse in his thread. Like he owned that spot of bandwidth in the ever expanding internet space.

You get a bit defensive over silly shit, give it a break and drink a beer once in a while.

Oh, and so I'm not trolling.. The FedEx cup is pretty boring. It doesn't really show case the "top" 30 for the year, and allowed those who play well late into the season, to still steal the show.

That said.. I enjoy going to East Lake and watching the event, so keep it coming.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
You sound like that cry baby who didn't want people to curse in his thread. Like he owned that spot of bandwidth in the ever expanding internet space.

Oh, and so I'm not trolling..

ai392.photobucket.com_albums_pp2_thetruereview01_Misc_Troll1.png
This thread actually got back on track somewhat from post #16 until this was posted. Geez, how to win friends & influence people.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
This thread actually got back on track somewhat from post #16 until this was posted. Geez, how to win friends & influence people.

Are you going to answer the question I asked?

Do you watch a tourney because of the Fed Ex Cup implications?

And 18 at East Lake would be enough to make me give up golf entirely! Are you kidding? A 230+ yd Par 3 as the closer? Better not need a birdie to win on that hole!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Are you going to answer the question I asked?

Do you watch a tourney because of the Fed Ex Cup implications?

...!

To be frank Jim, yes. The Fed Ex cup brings out the top golfers (unless they're during the rounds eliminated) and I certainly like watching them play. Irrespective of their motivations for being there, I'm not aware of any golfer who has qualified for the Fed Ex cup but has declined playing.

My view is that anything that promotes golf is good for the game. Heck, I'm even interested in the Kodak Challenge.

We've just been through a GFC and a lot of sponsors headed for the hills. The $10 million prize money for the Race for Dubai was promptly reduced during the GFC. So if a company is prepared to tip money into the game, that's good in my book.

Many players have been positive to the concept. It's some sort of culmination to the season rather than it fizzling, after the PGA Championship, into the fall events. Many players that I've seen interviewed agree that there needs to be a culmination to the season because once NFL season starts, US viewers don't give two hoots about the golf.

As far as majors counting the most for players - that's true. But it's not a mutually exclusive situation. They do care about winning other events - including the Fed Ex Cup. Even the US Masters at one stage was not a major. The majors used to be - the US Open, the US Amateur, the British Open & the British Amateur. If you read the history of US Masters - it started out as some half-baked tournament that almost didn't get off the ground. Thankfully it did.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
To be frank Jim, yes. The Fed Ex cup brings out the top golfers (unless they're during the rounds eliminated) and I certainly like watching them play. Irrespective of their motivations for being there, I'm not aware of any golfer who has qualified for the Fed Ex cup but has declined playing.
My view is that anything that promotes golf is good for the game. Heck, I'm even interested in the Kodak Challenge.

We've just been through a GFC and a lot of sponsors headed for the hills. The $10 million prize money for the Race for Dubai was promptly reduced during the GFC. So if a company is prepared to tip money into the game, that's good in my book.

Many players have been positive to the concept. It's some sort of culmination to the season rather than it fizzling, after the PGA Championship, into the fall events. Many players that I've seen interviewed agree that there needs to be a culmination to the season because once NFL season starts, US viewers don't give two hoots about the golf.

As far as majors counting the most for players - that's true. But it's not a mutually exclusive situation. They do care about winning other events - including the Fed Ex Cup. Even the US Masters at one stage was not a major. The majors used to be - the US Open, the US Amateur, the British Open & the British Amateur. If you read the history of US Masters - it started out as some half-baked tournament that almost didn't get off the ground. Thankfully it did.

Tiger Woods and at least a couple others have declined playing at least one of the events each of the last 3 years, and 2 of those years he still won the thing.

I question though what the players actually think of the Fed Ex cup. I know they all walk the company line and tout the benefits of it, but really does any one player enter the season thinking "man if I could only win that Fed Ex cup?" I respect the fact that you like it. I actually liked watching the lesser events that played out after the Tour Championship (this goes back a few years to when I had time to watch more golf) as I got to see courses and players that you wouldn't normally get to see.

Oh and one other thing, what the hell is a GFC?

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Tiger Woods and at least a couple others have declined playing at least one of the events each of the last 3 years, and 2 of those years he still won the thing.

.... I actually liked watching the lesser events that played out after the Tour Championship (this goes back a few years to when I had time to watch more golf) as I got to see courses and players that you wouldn't normally get to see.

Oh and one other thing, what the hell is a GFC?

GFC = global financial crisis.

Tiger has also declined playing a number of events outside of the Fed Ex Cup play-offs. That's Tiger. I have a funny feeling we're going to be seeing a lot more of him next year as he tries to claw his way back. Adversity has a habit of bringing humility.

I even like watching the Fall series. It has its own tensions. You have a combination of golfers trying to secure their playing card and players who have secured their playing card but are simply treating it as another event. I recall fondly a couple of years ago when Davis Love III won a Fall series event to give him a lifetime exemption on tour. Similarly, when Justin Leonard won after a lengthy winless period. It's golf and it's all good.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
GFC = global financial crisis.

Tiger has also declined playing a number of events outside of the Fed Ex Cup play-offs. That's Tiger. I have a funny feeling we're going to be seeing a lot more of him next year as he tries to claw his way back. Adversity has a habit of bringing humility.

I even like watching the Fall series. It has its own tensions. You have a combination of golfers trying to secure their playing card and players who have secured their playing card but are simply treating it as another event. I recall fondly a couple of years ago when Davis Love III won a Fall series event to give him a lifetime exemption on tour. Similarly, when Justin Leonard won after a lengthy winless period. It's golf and it's all good.

If he's smart and wants to really make a STRONG comeback in the eyes of fans he will play more events that he has never player or played only once. I would love to see him play the John Deere or the Phoenix open, New Orleans and some of the other "lesser" events. i doubt we will see that but how good for golf would that be. Better than any sponsor throwing up $10mil I imagine.

GFC-gotcha. I typically call it "when the s#@t hit the fan"

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008

Who the hell goes on the internet to "win friends and influence people"?

I'm here to talk golf, like I always have. You have a problem with people not agreeing with you, and decide to tell them to leave.

I'm open enough to any conversation that I don't have people on my ignore list.. I know for a fact, you can't say the same thing. Instead you insist on attempting to take the higher road, by calling people a troll, and adding them to your list.

Take a step back and look at the scope of the situation a little, will ya? It's a friggin golf forum, not something earth shattering should you have a run in with some disagreements.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Who the hell goes on the internet to "win friends and influence people"?

I'm here to talk golf, like I always have. You have a problem with people not agreeing with you, and decide to tell them to leave.

I'm open enough to any conversation that I don't have people on my ignore list.. I know for a fact, you can't say the same thing. Instead you insist on attempting to take the higher road, by calling people a troll, and adding them to your list.

Take a step back and look at the scope of the situation a little, will ya? It's a friggin golf forum, not something earth shattering should you have a run in with some disagreements.

Can't see any golf talk there - just vitriol. Troll.

Members online

No members online now.