• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Feherty, Tiger and Ernie

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
A friend emailed this to me. I don't know if it's old stuff, but it's new to me, and it made me laugh, so I thought I'd share it.

David Feherty on Tiger Woods

No doubt that Bart Bryant shares Ernie's thoughts

Ultimate peer respect...

"People have accused me of being so far up Tiger's arse that he can barely make a full swing, but I maintain that he is a special person. There's no one else on the planet who can do what he does or even think of doing what he does. I've often thought, instead of showing Tiger's reaction to a shot he's hit, we really should show the reaction of those around him."

But here is the next best thing.

"I'm walking down the 18th fairway at Firestone Country Club with Ernie Els and Tiger, who has popped up a three-wood about 40 yards behind Ernie into some wet, nasty, horrible, six-inch rough," Feherty says. "Tiger's cursing and taking clumps out of Ohio with his three-wood. And, of course, we're not showing this on TV because we want to be able to interview him later. Ernie and I walk past Tiger's ball, and it is truly buried.

"Ernie is tied with Tiger and he's in the middle of the fairway. I'm standing with Ernie and my microphone is open. Ken Venturi [in the CBS booth] sends it to me and I say, 'Tiger's got 184 yards with two big red oaks overhanging the green. He's got absolutely nothing. With a stick of dynamite and a sand wedge I might be able to move this ball 50 yards. Steve Williams [Woods' caddie] tells me [with a hand signal] that he's using a pitching wedge.'

"Tiger takes his swing. Every muscle in his body is flung at the ball. It looks like he's torn his nutsack. The divot went as far as I could hit the ball. I've got my microphone at my mouth thinking, what the hell was that! The ball sails over the trees, lands behind the hole and backs up to about six feet from the flag. I open my microphone and Ernie turns and says, 'F*** me!'

"My producer comes on in my earpiece and says, 'Was that Ernie?' I say yes. He says, 'Fair enough.'

"I could have described that shot for 15 minutes and not done as good a job as Ernie did with two words. This is the second best player in the world talking, and you wanna know how good Tiger is? Ask Ernie Els."

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
That's truly a treat. I imagine that's how Baddeley felt when he shot 11 birdies in 20 holes-- and lost.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
A buried lie hit 180 plus with a pitching wedge, he is not human, I've always suspected it, this just proves it, :D

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Funny story. And people wonder why players crumble when they play with him. That would be disheartening to anyone.

Wonder what kind of swing speed you need to hit a PW 185 from thick rough? Gotta be huge.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I just laughed at the 'fair enough' comment from the producer

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I just laughed at the 'fair enough' comment from the producer

Really. I can just see the producer getting ready to ream Ferhety a new one and then finding out it was Els that said it. :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.