• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Final Qualifiers for the Open @ Formby

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I spent my day off yesterday @ Formby golf club in the North west of England watching the first round of final qualifying for the open, i decided to follow Gregory Havret of France and a european tour member, what a great display around a very tough golf course.

The guy shot 68 (-4) but it could have been so much better !!! 14 greens in regulation and he made 6 birdies and 2 bogeys i just hope he qualifies as he was a courteous and jolly nice chap off the course too, although there is only a miserly 3 places for 96 players per course there is every chance he could qualify fingers crossed

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
charnockpro said:
I spent my day off yesterday @ Formby golf club in the North west of England watching the first round of final qualifying for the open, i decided to follow Gregory Havret of France and a european tour member, what a great display around a very tough golf course.

The guy shot 68 (-4) but it could have been so much better !!! 14 greens in regulation and he made 6 birdies and 2 bogeys i just hope he qualifies as he was a courteous and jolly nice chap off the course too, although there is only a miserly 3 places for 96 players per course there is every chance he could qualify fingers crossed

Sounds like a great time. While I love the excitement and drama of attending a major tournament, there is something to be said for smaller events. The golf, while not at the highest level, is certainly at a very high level. And the huge crowds (which I absolutely detest) are thankfully absent. You've found someone to cheer for. If he gets in, it will make this Open even more fun for you.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Mr Havret lies 2nd after round 1 of qualifying - 1 shot behind. Leader in clubhouse at the moment of 2nd round is also @ -4.

*afterthought* .. Regional qualifying for Ireland was held in Baltray Co.Louth - playing there on Saturday in a Scratch Cup

*after afterthought* ... The guy that won our regional qualifier is from one of the local clubs here - he's also playing in Formby .. +1 after day 1

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Adding to that

His playing partners were a former tour player Barry Hume and a young amateur from the same club as the Saltman brothers, it was amazing to see the gap, only minor, but big enough to be the difference between 68 and a 76 !!! Havret lies 96th in the order of merit, so it is a very high standard that is attained by the higher echelon of the european game

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
You have just reminded me of an article I read a few months back which took the format of a Q&A session with Padraig Harrington. There were 2 answers he gave which raised an eyebrow - 1. it was better to be long and off the fairway than short and down the middle and 2. the difference in standard of a scratch and 18 handicapper is the same as the difference between a scratch and a tour pro ...

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
2 pros at my club got through regionals to the locals,both playing at Formby.James Godbold (my coach) and Aran Wainright,both shot +2 in the first round,which in itself is great golf,just not good enough.

The Wallesey field looked stronger though.

Personally,i would have followed Danny Dennison,out of curiosity as to what a +4 amateur plays like.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Bloody hell,Danny Dennison looks like he will qualify,he is in at -5 at Wallesey

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Havret balooned to a 77 today but i am hangin on for Dave Shacklady as his dad is a member at my club, he is currently waiting for Jim Payne to finish to see if he has to play off for the last place at Formby??!!!!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I am sure I have seen his name,can't remember,will check

Is Warren Bladon the guy from Big Break? he has qualified at Conwy

Danny Dennison,a name for the future,that score is awesome in those conditions.We played in the recent Yorks team cup and Dennison went round in 63 and 64,we fluffed around in low and high seventies.The lad is frigging out of this world.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Dave Astin shot 2 74s.

Hebden Bridge aint far from me,and spookily,I am called.....................Dave Aston

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Yep Bladon is the Big Break guy from BB4 but he had to hit it through a window and over a 15ft wall to get to the last green!!!!! Good on him as i thought he was the best player in BB4.

Dave Shacklady missed it by 1 as Jim Payne birdied 17 to finish at -6

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
So theoretically Danny Denison will go up 0.1 per round he played !!!! how hard is that !!!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
charnockpro said:
So theoretically Danny Denison will go up 0.1 per round he played !!!! how hard is that !!!

depends what the standard scratch is set at,i would have thought it would have been at least 76 for both rounds,plus there is the buffer anyway,so if anything he will still come down 0.2 or at worst stay in the buffer

🔥 Latest posts