• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finally back on track!!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't know what did it... probably taking a good hard look at my grip and going back over Hogan's 5 lessons. That and some confident putting. I played Fenner Hill, one of the tougher tracks in my area. Very hilly with lightening fast greens downhill. It's a par 72 71.7/134/6693yds.

I started out hitting a slight fade and just never stopped. Had only 1 bogey on the front for my lowest 9 ever, a 37. Went around back in 40 and actually saved a bogey on the last after losing a drive right pretty bad. Stayed out of the lateral hazard by about 4 feet.

Putting was on fire. I holed one downhill that I paced off to over 50ft. I kept yelling "One time baby!" and it dropped. That was actually to save a par, lol. I had a scant 13 putts on the front to go with 16 on the back. Only 1 birdie so a lot of up and downs.

I'm not changing any equipment for a while now. I've got a driver I can lace a 3yd. fade everytime with, a 3w I can hit 250 on any trajectory I want, my hybrid was stellar today as well. Hit it dead on target 3 times. Only thing I can think of would maybe be a 54* wedge.

Feels pretty good to finally play to my cap.
icon10.gif

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm not changing any equipment for a while now. I've got a driver I can lace a 3yd. fade everytime with, a 3w I can hit 250 on any trajectory I want, my hybrid was stellar today as well. Hit it dead on target 3 times. Only thing I can think of would maybe be a 54* wedge.

Feels pretty good to finally play to my cap.
icon10.gif

Great round Ezra. It's nice to have confidence in your clubs. Great putting, BTW.

But I am bookmarking this page. I'm betting less than 30 days before you can't stand keeping your latest ho (which will have come much earlier) a secret anymore.:laugh:

I'll ignore the 54* wedge, since you did list that here as a possible future ho.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Congrats on a great round!!! Keep it up now and do not switch drivers again. I had a similar day on Sunday except I finished double, double for an 82.:laugh:

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
good job man.. i was gonna reply in the PM, but since i'm on this page, might as well.

so i gotta break the 77 huh? my record of 82 broken by 5 strokes.. hmm.. gonna be awhile. congrats again.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I need a volunteer... someone to come slap the $hit out of me if I ever start talking about changing drivers or hoing a prettier putter. :laugh:

I had not much going today at Triggs. I knew I was a bit out of sync and coming a little OTT. I saved a crapload of bogies and pars. Made 2 very stupid doubles on the back and squeaked out an 89. Not bad considering my best round there is only an 88. It's always a good day when my swing just isn't really clicking and I still finish the round with the same ball I started with, lol.

There is no putter I could do any better than this one with. I have pretty good speed but staying on line is the best I've ever had. I missed no putts outside 4-5ft. and dropped most of them from 8-10. I hit more greens than usual but left a lot of long a$$ putts. 37 might sound like a rather high # but it was better than usual I would say for what I left myself with.

The BurnerTP is the longest and most accurate driver I've ever had in the bag. It is setup for my swing. I do not miss left, no matter how hard I try. When push came to shove on #3 and #17, the 2 longest and most difficult par 4's, I hit both drives dead center just over 260.

So I felt like I held it together with glue and bandaids today and still only 1 off my best score at that course. Might sound funny but I feel like the misses are getting better, that's a start in the right direction I guess.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I need a volunteer... someone to come slap the $hit out of me if I ever start talking about changing drivers or hoing a prettier putter. :laugh:

I had not much going today at Triggs. I knew I was a bit out of sync and coming a little OTT. I saved a crapload of bogies and pars. Made 2 very stupid doubles on the back and squeaked out an 89. Not bad considering my best round there is only an 88. It's always a good day when my swing just isn't really clicking and I still finish the round with the same ball I started with, lol.

There is no putter I could do any better than this one with. I have pretty good speed but staying on line is the best I've ever had. I missed no putts outside 4-5ft. and dropped most of them from 8-10. I hit more greens than usual but left a lot of long a$$ putts. 37 might sound like a rather high # but it was better than usual I would say for what I left myself with.

The BurnerTP is the longest and most accurate driver I've ever had in the bag. It is setup for my swing. I do not miss left, no matter how hard I try. When push came to shove on #3 and #17, the 2 longest and most difficult par 4's, I hit both drives dead center just over 260.

So I felt like I held it together with glue and bandaids today and still only 1 off my best score at that course. Might sound funny but I feel like the misses are getting better, that's a start in the right direction I guess.

I like the sound of that Burner/Proto combo. That shaft would probably be too stout for me, but I sure did like the Burner TP I demoed.

And I'm sure I can come up with some remote control bitch-slap device that you could plug into your computer. I could put some laser sighting on it and whack you when the driver sensor detects a new titanium source.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It is stout. Definitely stiffer than the Blueboard, even with the BB tipped. I'm launching this thing mid-mid/high with a little fade every time. I was into the wind on the last 2 holes. Hit my last drive with about 99% effort. Guy I was playing with even said "you just about came out your shoes on that one". Drive went up the left side and faded about 2 yds. leaving me about 135 in the 399yd. hole. I put PW back for a smooth 9. Flew it on by about 5ft. and it spun back 4. Another GIR... with a 40ft. putt. lol.

I must say the few iron shots that were on target were good. I spun back that 9iron, an 8iron as well as a 7iron that spun back about 2ft and was on a very low trajectory. That's a good sign, means I'm getting the divot well after the ball and making a few near perfection strikes.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Great round Ez!! Keep it going. I have league tonight so will be using the R5 Dual TP and hopefully have some closer second shots (in the fairway) :laugh:. The nine we play tonight has alot of 3-wood shots so if that is working I'm hoping to finally shoot a decent round in league. It's a tough track, fast greens with difficult pin placements. :)

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'll volunteer!

You are the closest to me I guess. Although after I spank you a few times you might be trying to talk me into hoing something new.
icon10.gif

Great round Ez!! Keep it going. I have league tonight so will be using the R5 Dual TP and hopefully have some closer second shots (in the fairway) :laugh:. The nine we play tonight has alot of 3-wood shots so if that is working I'm hoping to finally shoot a decent round in league. It's a tough track, fast greens with difficult pin placements. :)

Thanks WBL. Keep at it. Seems to me when the swing is on it takes my mind off that and to more important things. Like course management and leaving the ball in a spot where I should make par at worst on my approach. It gets a lot easier when a decent strike becomes a given.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just got back from that little 119 slope track. I shot an 87 with a lot of wind. Putting was not all that great, irons were on and off as well as driver. I was back and forth between the left and right rough for a good stretch. Went to my 3w and the same thing. Not terrible but not right down the pipe by any means. I hit a drive (with 3w) on a 365yd. hole, blues all the way back as far as they could go and it was inside 90yds. That was a cannon shot. I hit that with an HX- tour. That ball is longer than a Prov1 IMO but spin is terrible. I hit 3 wedge shots with it that hopped off the back of the green, really weird. Normally my full GW stops dead or spins back.

Not a horrible round, I had some good swings and some attempts at working some shots go bad. One thing is for sure. I need a wedge between my 50 and my 58. I got stuck between a few times in the rough. Flew the 50 over the green. I can deal with shorter shots from the fairway with it but out of the junk I need to swing near full to impart some spin.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
A book helped me recently too. Not the one I was expecting as I'm not really a big fan of his but after shoving nearly all my shots 20 feet right from 100 yards in I borrowed Peltz's Short Game Bible.

Next round I shot 84 after a terrible start - I was three off the tee three times in the first five holes (it was very early and I am usually a slow starter) but then played the last 13 in +2. I was level par for the back 9 and birdied both the par 5s. The real bonus was my short irons though, I employed Peltz's technique of short back and full through to a high finish and had tons more control. Out in 48 and back 36, go figure.....

Sorry - I don't mean to hijack but my experience was very much like Ezra,s so I thought I'd post it here. When you have a good day from 100 yards in your score really benefits, if I could only have woken up with the big stuff at the start I could have had quite a round but I am pleased I stuck at it after such a poor start. It's easy just to drop your head and lose it and I have a lot of people on here to thank for the fact that I didn't go down that road.

I hope you have a few more rounds like that Ez, if you keep the same stuff for more than a fortnight you may have a squeak :laugh:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That makes a big difference, being able to put it on and usually close inside 100. That's probably one of the strongest parts of my game.

I got messed up a little today by trying to do too much on a few holes. I had a creative streak or something. I pulled off a 90yd. 5iron with a 10yd. fade... ever see a skip-stop with a 5iron, choked down so much the left hand is on the fricken shaft?
icon10.gif

My attempt at a knowdown fade 5wood on a 180yd. par 3 was a total abortion though... that was on #8, on #9 I hit a drive inside 150, smoked fade on the dogleg right over 260 into the wind. I pulled 7iron off a tight lie and tried to hit the 3/4 "fighter draw" into the wind, pushed it wide. That's a tough shot though, requires 100% commitment and a pure strike to get it. I got it from 140 with a 9iron on 11 and stuck it to 6ft. How do I miss a 6ft. uphill birdie putt?

On 18 I let loose with the wind and overcut what was supposed to be a "slight fade". I hit a 3/4 7iron under a branch that went 4 feet off the ground, nearly ran on from 130. Chip to 6inches. That hole was pretty much how my round went. Try a bunch of crazy shots and pull off around half of them. I had fun though, that's all that counts, scores are just semi-relative numbers, I make no money off them. :)

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005

Thats a lot of slapping!:)

Who uses the logo to aim the ball?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Haha, and when I read the title of the thread I thought you HAD bought a new driver:D

🔥 Latest posts