• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finally got 'er done with a bow!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
TL;DR - Shot a deer, pics at the bottom.

Alright, I took today off work since the rut is going hard and today was the first cold(er) day in the last week or so. Got to the land about 20 minutes later than I wanted to so I had to go to a different stand since I didn't have time to make it to the stand I was going to head to. Got settled in about 25 minutes before shooting time. Around 6:45 I did some grunting. 6:50 this 9 point jumps the fence to my north. Wind is WNW perfect. 6:52 a doe pops out directly downwind of me....not good.

At first, I had decided I didn't want to shoot him. His left side was kind of spindly and he isn't very wide, or tall, or massive, or symmetrical. Then I thought to myself, I haven't even shot a buck with a bow yet. He's not a bad buck by any means for this area...we just don't have a lot of deer, let alone big deer around here. So I decided that if he gave me a really high quality shot and this doe downwind didn't bust me, I would take him.

Luckily for me, she never winded me and worked her way into the corn field in front of me enough that I could stand up and get my bow. The buck eventually worked his way around and ended up at 18 yards slightly quartering away. He was basically begging me to shoot him.

Drew back, settled in, and sent the arrow. With a loud crack I watched the arrow dissapear inside the deer, slightly lower than I was aiming, but right behind the shoulder. He took off, hauling ass through some thick stuff for about 5 yards...quickly stopped turned to his right and started walking down a four wheeler trail. At this point I could clearly see, from about 50 yards away, a steady stream of blood pouring out of him. Heart shot. I knew then I would be watching him go down. Sure enough, about 20 yards later of a quick walk the whole time pouring out blood, he got wobbly legs and was down.

When I got to where I shot him, there was plenty of hair and a TON of blood right there. It was a solid stream of blood the whole way to the deer. I'm very impressed with the Killzone broadheads. Fly great, don't rattle, don't require 'shock collars' or o-rings, don't open randomly, and put a serious hole in the deer.

He's not huge, but I'm really happy with him.

Video of bloodtrail from the point in which he started walking....there was quite a bit of blood before this that I didn't show...it was just too thick in there to video it...

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
TL;DR - Shot a deer, pics at the bottom.

Alright, I took today off work since the rut is going hard and today was the first cold(er) day in the last week or so. Got to the land about 20 minutes later than I wanted to so I had to go to a different stand since I didn't have time to make it to the stand I was going to head to. Got settled in about 25 minutes before shooting time. Around 6:45 I did some grunting. 6:50 this 9 point jumps the fence to my north. Wind is WNW perfect. 6:52 a doe pops out directly downwind of me....not good.

At first, I had decided I didn't want to shoot him. His left side was kind of spindly and he isn't very wide, or tall, or massive, or symmetrical. Then I thought to myself, I haven't even shot a buck with a bow yet. He's not a bad buck by any means for this area...we just don't have a lot of deer, let alone big deer around here. So I decided that if he gave me a really high quality shot and this doe downwind didn't bust me, I would take him.

Luckily for me, she never winded me and worked her way into the corn field in front of me enough that I could stand up and get my bow. The buck eventually worked his way around and ended up at 18 yards slightly quartering away. He was basically begging me to shoot him.

Drew back, settled in, and sent the arrow. With a loud crack I watched the arrow dissapear inside the deer, slightly lower than I was aiming, but right behind the shoulder. He took off, hauling ass through some thick stuff for about 5 yards...quickly stopped turned to his right and started walking down a four wheeler trail. At this point I could clearly see, from about 50 yards away, a steady stream of blood pouring out of him. Heart shot. I knew then I would be watching him go down. Sure enough, about 20 yards later of a quick walk the whole time pouring out blood, he got wobbly legs and was down.

When I got to where I shot him, there was plenty of hair and a TON of blood right there. It was a solid stream of blood the whole way to the deer. I'm very impressed with the Killzone broadheads. Fly great, don't rattle, don't require 'shock collars' or o-rings, don't open randomly, and put a serious hole in the deer.

He's not huge, but I'm really happy with him.

Video of bloodtrail from the point in which he started walking....there was quite a bit of blood before this that I didn't show...it was just too thick in there to video it...

Well played bud!!!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Congratulations, E! Nice shooting, man! He's a big bodied sob. That'll take some freezer space.

I thought I was going to kill one last night. He walked within 40 yards of me then promptly chased off another buck. I had a fantastic hunt though and I can't wait to get back out there tonight. My fingers are crossed.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Congratulations! Nice buck.

Any deer is a trophy in my book. If I felt any less than I shouldn't have taken their life.
I was thinking about passing him because I know there's a 10 that's quite a bit nicer running around out there...but I've passed up a lot of deer in the last two years with the bow waiting for something bigger and nothing ever came. So I took the opportunity, and I'm glad I did.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Congratulations, E! Nice shooting, man! He's a big bodied sob. That'll take some freezer space.

I thought I was going to kill one last night. He walked within 40 yards of me then promptly chased off another buck. I had a fantastic hunt though and I can't wait to get back out there tonight. My fingers are crossed.
Thanks man! We definitely put a lot of meat in the freezer. Quite a bit going to get canned tood

Another reason I almost passed this buck up is that I have through Monday set aside to do nothing but hunt. I had planned to sit all four days all day long....Now I'm trying to find stuff to do...

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Thanks man! We definitely put a lot of meat in the freezer. Quite a bit going to get canned tood

Another reason I almost passed this buck up is that I have through Monday set aside to do nothing but hunt. I had planned to sit all four days all day long....Now I'm trying to find stuff to do...
Good call on taking him. No regrets. He's not so old that the meat will tough and gamey. Yet he's a nice bow kill.

I'm getting ready to walk out the door and head to the woods. I hope I can post some pics tonight.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Wss a good hunt but no blood.
I sat in Juneau county yesterday all day. 1 doe fawn....that's it. Nothing was moving around there, or at least not around where I was. My buddy invited me up to hunt his new property. Very nice joint, pond, grassy bedding, field, draws, nice open woods. He pretty much has it all on his 40 acres. He has several shooters on camera.

Nice frosty cold morning too...very weird.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I sat in Juneau county yesterday all day. 1 doe fawn....that's it. Nothing was moving around there, or at least not around where I was. My buddy invited me up to hunt his new property. Very nice joint, pond, grassy bedding, field, draws, nice open woods. He pretty much has it all on his 40 acres. He has several shooters on camera.

Nice frosty cold morning too...very weird.
I've been seeing a lot of deer. There is about 75 acres of corn that was plowed up and over seeded with oats right next to where I hunt. (Left side of pic)
0Ai7o3Z.jpg

We have several food plots, one of which is close where I'm at in the pic. There is a fresh water source close too. So, everything should be ideal to bag a good buck. I just never seem to get it done. Of course, to me, it's all about the hunt not the kill.

On my way into the stand yesterday, I noticed a fresh rub that wasn't there the night before.
70WVPAq.jpg

The rut is really heating up where I'm at. Hopefully I can take off work one day this week because I have the fever.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts