• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finally got 'er done with a bow!

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It's really weird, some places here it seems like the activity is winding down, other places, it hasn't even started yet...

My buddies land the scrapes and rubs were hot starting around Halloween and it has all pretty much stopped there. My uncles lease, they just started opening scrapes last week and the rubs are showing up hot and heavy now...

I've already shot my buck tho, so I'm just waiting and hoping some of my friends get a chance at a nice one. My uncle had a 150"+ 10 at 18 yards, but never presented a shot...always stayed in the heavy brush and never exposed himself.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
It's really weird, some places here it seems like the activity is winding down, other places, it hasn't even started yet...

My buddies land the scrapes and rubs were hot starting around Halloween and it has all pretty much stopped there. My uncles lease, they just started opening scrapes last week and the rubs are showing up hot and heavy now...

I've already shot my buck tho, so I'm just waiting and hoping some of my friends get a chance at a nice one. My uncle had a 150"+ 10 at 18 yards, but never presented a shot...always stayed in the heavy brush and never exposed himself.
It's weird to see our deer chasing, making scrapes and rubs when it's still kind of warm and the leaves are still partially green. It's like the trees (where I hunt) are a couple of weeks behind schedule. The trees in my yard are bare. It's puzzling but the rut is certainly on right now. It makes for entertaining hunts.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
E, do you mount the head or give away the antlers, etc?

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
For story telling purposes, he was approaching 120".

European mount?

I have a friend who is getting into taxidermy, so he's attempting to shoulder mount it. Cape is in the freezer awaiting tanning.

So the antlers have already been cut off the skull so no European mount anymore unless I do one of the fake ones. If he fails at the shoulder mount, which is likely, I will just plaque mount them. Hang them up right next to the spikes of my first deer ever.

If I was paying for a mount, it would have been a European. He's not big enough for me to pay a professional to shoulder mount him.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Looks to be cooked perfectly, E! I tip my hat to you. Most everyone I know seems to over cook it.

For those who don't know, venison is so lean that it will dry out in a heart beat. I don't worry about under cooked deer because I butchered it and I know it was kept sanitary (unlike store bought meat). People who dislike deer meat should try it rare to med-rare, it's fantastic.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Looks to be cooked perfectly, E! I tip my hat to you. Most everyone I know seems to over cook it.

For those who don't know, venison is so lean that it will dry out in a heart beat. I don't worry about under cooked deer because I butchered it and I know it was kept sanitary (unlike store bought meat). People who dislike deer meat should try it rare to med-rare, it's fantastic.
Thanks, Man!

All whole hunks of red meat muscle gets cooked rare to medium rare. Anything past that should be a felony. I'd argue it should be punishable by death.

Although I do low and slow the neck roast with lots of fluids in the crock pot. It has so much connective tissue in it, it has to be cooked for a while to tenderize it. Great venison BBQ though.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.