• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finally in the 90's!!

monzter

Aug 7, 2008
Starting playing about 6 months ago and have steadily seen my scores drop from the 130's/120's/110's until about 2 months ago where I had been stuck in the high 100's.

Right about that time I dumped my mixed bag of x-18/x-20 irons for the MP-30's i'm playing now. I realize that I'm nowhere near good enough to play these irons, but I got them for a good price and I figured they would help improve my striking a bit (which should improve anyway as I'm a new player). I am definitely hitting the irons better now, much more consistency and accuracy (many more GIR's with these clubs than I ever had before..now if I could only sink those putts :unhappy:) with the Mizuno's, BUT mishits definitely are not as forgiving.

I had the last 2 weeks of the year and wanted to reach my goal of shooting double digits before the year ended so I was determined to play at least 6 or 7 rounds during that period.

Round 1: 101
Round 2: 98 (Including my first ever birdie on 18)
Round 3: 99 (2nd birdie on 17..i guess that 1st one was the hump :) )
Round 4: 102
Round 5: 104
Round 6: 105 (+5 on 18!!)

Part of the reason for my drop in score has been an improvement off the tee. By that I mean using a 3/4 iron instead of the driver on some of the challenging holes. I'd been giving up about 7-8 penalty strokes per round before because of driver mishits and i'm down to about 4-5 now. Also using a little better course management has helped. Playing my approaches to the safe side of the green has helped me land in only 4 bunkers during those 6 rounds.

Putting was in the 30-34 range (on the 98,99,102 scores) and was up in the 35-38 range (on the 101,104,105 scores).

Goal for 2009 is to get into the 80's. Need to reduce those penalty's off the tee and get some more consistency/forgiveness from my irons.

Love the Mizuno's and was thinking of going to a more forgiving iron set like the MP-57's. Going to pick up a club or two off eBay and give them a tryout.

Gotta love South Florida and the abitlity to play year round golf. :)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Good job! Now, get consistently under 100, then get 80's!!

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
its important to not rush your progress as well. You already have made a dramatic improvement from when you started. Six months ago?? that's pretty awesome to go from the 130's to 100's in that time span. Even getting into the double digits is great!!

I agree with WBL; improving the short game will have you shooting lower and staying there!! But I'd focus on staying under 100 for a while first!

OP
M

monzter

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the kind words. I have definitely got the "bug" :) My playing partner regularly shoots in the low 80's and has really helped me along.

I've played almost every weekend since mid June and try to make it out to the range once a week or so. I'm at that stage now where I want to take an "honest" look at my game and realize that i may be hitting too much club for my skill level (my playing partner plays X-16's for example). Hence the look at the 57's...maybe even the MX-25's (probably what I should be playing).

I'm sure glad I finally picked up this game, wish I would have done it years ago (35yrs old now).

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'd say start focusing on your short game, and not worry about "too much club".

While gear that fits your game is an important part, you have to realize, there is only so much level of forgiveness you can get in a club before it's merely YOU.

I think playing clubs above your level, shafts aside, cause you to play better of a period of time. I think the progression is spread out longer, but I think it's better ingrained.

I've always tried to practice with the hardest stuff, but I try and focus on little things. While my blades, with tiny little heads, and razor sharp front edges, small soles and no offset, don't offer me any assistance on a miss hit, I certainly realize something is wrong, and can focus on getting GREAT shots from them, and repeating that.

I shoot in the 90's as well. I've busted 88 as a best so far. But that time, I was chipping and putting out of my mind.

Avoiding penalties is huge. When I got my tee box woes straight, literally, I shaved an EASY 6-9 strokes off my score without even touching my iron play and short game.

Working on my inside 100yard is the key. Anyone can thin an iron and get it to travel down the fairway to the green, but it takes a good read, skill and touch to play your ball where you want and safely.

I'd easy, easy be in the mid low 80's ever round if I could cut my putting down. As it stands now, I could hit a GIR, and still have the thoughts that I'll 3 putt regardless. Thats what holds most back.

So forget looking for some GI irons, or something magic. Use the extreme, and sometimes harsh feedback from your clubs, and find the smoothness more.

OP
M

monzter

Aug 7, 2008
Makes sense. I will shave AT LEAST 6-8 shots off my score when I get straight off the tee. Not counting the 6-7 penalty strokes, I often end up deep in the rough, where I have to punch out with my 2nd shot in order to get a clean 3rd shot option. This costs me another 2-3 strokes per round.

The hard part is actually getting straight off the tee ;)

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
The key is, if you don't feel comfortable with your driver, dont pull it out.

A 425 yard par 4 is simple to break down. Barring any crazy dog legs, or huge bunker placements.. Say you hit your 7 iron a good solid 160 yards.

A 6 iron off the tee, and another 6 iron to 100 yard lay up. Grab a wedge, and put it really close, and 1 putt. Worse case, you bogey, and you avoid any trouble by simple shot placement.

Sometimes as a bogey(and worse) golfer, we have to break down our risk-reward. Golf is a game of risk and reward constantly. Good players, risk a shot over a hazard, a tight pin placement, ect.. Higher cappers have to risk the extra strokes on simple shots. It might seem silly to use a 4 iron off the tee, or a 5 iron, and leave yourself a mid iron to the green, or a lay up. But when you think about hitting a slice into the woods, then hitting 3 off the tee, finding your ball in the rough under a tree, punching out to the fairway, 1 shot to the front of the green, 2 to chip it up and a 2 putt, you've just blown the hole up.

I've started leaving the driver in the bag a few holes, and using my hybrid or 3-wood off the tee a tad more. I end up hitting 2 clubs longer on my approach, but I'm in the fairway, or aimed to get the best shot at a score.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm right in the same area. I have shot in the high 90's, but usually shoot around 105. I do a lot of good things that I feel I can build on. I am not far from consistently shooting low 90's if only I can fix just a couple of small things.
Keeping my damn driver in play or even in bounds is a big one on that list.
A person's score is sure to shoot up if you're constantly dropping a ball or chipping out from trouble. I would know.
Getting short chips and pitches close to the hole. There comes a point where just being on the green isn't good enough. My putting stats are atrocious partly due to the fact that, although I'm on the green, I'm 50 feet away.
Putting. Everyone's nemesis. I don't so much have a problem putting the ball on the line I pick. I don't read greens so well.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The rounds where I shoot my lower scores are usually the rounds I pulled the driver out the fewest number of times. Is it fun the nail a good drive and watch it soar? Yes it is, but how many times does it soar into the deep rough or into the woods? Like FatCity said, try leaving it in the bag. Better yet, take it out completely for a couple of rounds. Leave it at home. Give yourself no choice but the tee off with your 3 wood or 3 iron. I'll bet you shoot a lower score.

OP
M

monzter

Aug 7, 2008
It's no coincidence that i'm hovering b/w 98 - 104 my last 6 rounds now since I started leaving the driver in the bag more often and using my 4i off the tee.

I just picked up my first 3w, Maltby CT 250 15* with a Graphite Design Purple Ice 85g stiff shaft (thanks BigJim), and can't wait to practice some more with it so I can start using it on the course. My home course is not too long, and I could probably score pretty well there if I can get consistent with this club.

I too feel that if I can get a little more consistent off the tee and improve my putting a bit, I could be scoring in the low to mid 90's with ease.

Practice..practice..practice..

Taking the day off from work tomorrow so I can get an extra practice round in before the weekend ;)

OP
M

monzter

Aug 7, 2008
Well, I played my first full round leaving the driver in the bag the entire round and I shot a 95 :) Played my new 3w off the tee on all the Par 4's and 5's and only had 2 tee shots out of bounds (first time I used it on 2 and on the last hole).

Went back 2 days later using the driver again and shoot a 101 :unhappy: lol

When playing to score, I'm going to leave it in the bag from now on except for a couple of holes that are pretty safe. Will keep working on my swing at the range until I am a little more consistent with it.

Pretty excited about that 3w though. Sure feels good when you pick up a new club and can hit it pretty well right off the bat.

🔥 Latest posts