• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finally Some Real Golf!

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
After months of simply whacking away at the range, some of our courses have opened, and yesterday, Saturday, I was finally able to play some real golf. Sort of. My 12 year old daughter wanted to play too, and with the open courses pretty much overloaded with good players, we decided to go to the local 9-hole pitch and put course. We did the course twice, and I figure I got at least 100 bad swings out of my system. Simply amazing how I can hit 75%-80% pretty well at the range, but get me on real grass and I barely hit 20%. Worm burner after worm burner. I did have a couple of nice shots that dropped in real close, which gave me some hope. It also made me wonder about backspin. On one particular hole, I hit a real nice 8-iron shot. Great arc and it dropped about 3 feet from the flag. But then it rolled clear off the green. With the right backspin, I think it would have stayed put. Is the backspin achieved more from the face of the club or more from the way the ball is struck? I set up with the ball pretty much dead center between my legs.
Any help would be appreciated.

egriffith45

Mar 22, 2006
how long was the shot you hit with the 8 iron? for me to be able to stick it or back it up, i have to be taking a full swing with a nice descending blow, or if im trying to stick a pitch i try to cut across it to get more spin on the ball.

OP
What'saScore

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
egriffith45 said:
how long was the shot you hit with the 8 iron? for me to be able to stick it or back it up, i have to be taking a full swing with a nice descending blow, or if im trying to stick a pitch i try to cut across it to get more spin on the ball.

The posted distance was 78 yards.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
At 78 yards the ball was probably moving a lot faster forward than you want. I hit an 8 iron about 150-155yds. From 78 you shold be hitting a 3/4 PW or SW. I've seen your pic on the snowmobile, a guy your size would have no problem hitting an 8iron 150. You may have effectively (without knowing) hit a knockdown. That would be hitting a lower club a shorter distance without a full swing to take the backspin off and stay under the wind.

Members online

No members online now.