• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finally...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
After a fairly mediorcre season I finally pulled together something special and hopefully won me a cup in the process. Our championship course was closed as it is being used this week for the Bristish Girls Open (more on that later) so this week's tourney was held over our second course, the Riverside.

On a breezey day I shot me a 67 (-1) for 43 points, with 5 birds, 10 pars, 1 bogey, and get this a triple!!

Good start, 3 birds after 6 holes, but I got mauled by a triple on 7 which included a 4 putt!!!!), and thought that was it, but I just kept hitting good shots and making some putts and I found myself -2 after 15. Only real mistake was a poor tee shot on 16, which cost me a bogey, but good pars at 17 and 18 saw me in for my first under par competitive round, hopefully good enough for the silverware.

Only real comments were that I enjoyed the game, my concentration was good, swing felt great and I made a lot of 5 footers. Bar my triple it could have been the perfect round.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Nice work leaving that triple on that hole. So many times, people get hung up on that. You just gotta move on and put a good move on the next ball.

Well done, IG.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wow great round!

Par 68? Out of curiosity what's the yardage?

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Thnaks dudes. NIce to get a few breaks going for me and to finish out a solid round. That monkey has been on my back for a while.

I was playing with a real cool dude who pulled me aside after my triple and said, "Let it go, you can do nothing about it now, forget it"

Good advice...

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
VtDivot said:
Wow great round!

Par 68? Out of curiosity what's the yardage?

Yardage is 5600 - and - something. The tees were right at the back of *every* box, and the flags were well, well back at the vast majority of holes, so with that, coupled with the fact that a cold Northerly 20 mph wind was whipping in off the Atlantic made it a very tidy score indeed ! Hope ya won it, Mark - you truely deserve to after shooting that.

I, too, have had a v.successful week. Was second in better-ball comp. on Tuesday, won best Gross in an Open Greensomes on Friday, won our match yesterday, and were 2nd in a Scramble there today, which included taking a BOGEY on a hole !! First time ever, but we royally f**ked up our drives, meaning that we had to get up and down with 7-irons to a tricky pin position, and ended up with no joy with the putt. Another prize picked up though, which is good...:)

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Well done IG, it's a great feeling fulfilling yer potential, sadly I let it all fall away on Saturday. After qualifying 2nd overall for Captain's Day, 3 shots off the lead I went out in the final group on Saturday. Nothing of any consequence happened until I quadrupled the #14, then doubled the last for a 145 nett losing by 4 shots.

I did however win the long drive compy, had the fella I overtook aching my balls - as stupidly the compy was on a dog leg hole, he was maintaining that even tho I was nearer the green he had a longer drive - I left it to my playing partners to explain that they had determined my ball was longer not me. I also collected the Class 1 prize and the leading qualifier from day 2 - small compensation as I don't think you get too many chances at the big prize.

Again, congrats and hope you have another dust collector for the sideboard.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Well done! I came 4th in a Junior Scratch Cup on Sunday, with a 75 that included, get this, 3 doubles, 3 bogeys, 7 pars, 4 birdies and an eagle on 18! Started off with +3 thru 2, and like IG, my partner said, "Might as well have fun now" I certainly did!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
hopefully good enough for the silverware.

Found out yesterday that I won The Riverside Trophy on Saturday!!! :mgw:

I looked at the scores last night and here's some interesting stuff:

• I won by 3 clear points
  • 110 people played in the tournamant but only 6 players scored 36 points or better ( I finished with 43!!)
  • The par was 68 but the SSS was 70 on the day (pretty tough conditions!), playing 5,725 yards in a good breeze, with some tough pins.
  • I got cut a massive 1.2 shots! Now off 4.7.
  • Andy might be able to verify this, but given that the course has only recently been opened, I may theoretically hold the new course record. Our club champion shot a 64 in a junior competition, but I don't think it was counted as a qualifying handicap competition. So technically my 67 may still have it. How cool would that be for bragging rights down the local pub!!
I sound a bit like Corey Pavin but I'm kinda pround of this gig. I know it was not achieved on our championship course but it was no pushover either as the scores showed. First win of the year!!! Hopefully not the last.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Congrats man!

I tied 2nd in my club championship last weekend.

I was leading through 14 on Saturday at 2-under. Knocked my drive in the fairway on 15 and choked like a dog the rest of the way. Triple from the middle of the fairway. Double, then par, par. 3 over 74.

I was T-2 going into Sunday 3-back, final group. The leader choked like a dog and after 6 holes I was 1 back to a different guy who is a known choke. Then lightning hit, and some rain. Instead of waiting a ****ing hour and a half for it to blow over, our committee called the competition. Only Saturday's round counted.

I was pretty pissed about that. I finished out my round on Sunday also. I mean, it was an HOUR AND A HALF until the lightning and rain totally subsided. It was clear and sunny the rest of the day. ****ing idiots. It's like they wouldn't believe the radar screen.

I kept pointing out, "We're in the little bit of red now. Then there's about 15 minutes of yellow, then about 30 minutes of green, then it's clear through the rest of the state and all of South Dakota. We can most likely get out and play in the green. It's just light rain." You don't have to be a ****ing meteorologist to figure out how to read the radar screens at Weather.com.

So I got T-2. I choked like a dog any chance I got. My game is there. My nerves are not.

Congrats again IG on the under par finish. I have yet to do that on any course anywhere.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Brilliant round IG...just curious - what is your lowest score ever relative to par??

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.