• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finding the right instructor

foxhound6

Serial Hacker
May 13, 2008
Found this site a few days ago, glad to see there's a lot of chatter. I posted this on another message board (one you have to pay to belong to) and only got one response. I've read a lot of the posts on here and have enjoyed the banter so I'm hoping to get some input.

I've been golfing for about 15 years now (started at 12). I used to play a lot when I was in high school, but when I left for college, it dropped to about 3-4 times a year. It's stayed that way until now when I finally have started to get my weekends back (no more military, long distance girlfriend moved in). I've already gone out a few times this year and I'm still shooting the same that I have been since I started (high 90s, low 100s). I've been thinking about taking lessons, but it seems like everywhere is offering them these days. From the local driving ranges, to golf stores, to the courses themselves. Since I don't have a fortune to spend on lessons, I'm wondering how I can figure out where to go without actually having to take a lesson first. Thanks in advance.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Reputable courses are usually the best route. They have the best people there for a reason.

Ive found that stores and ranges generally have some run of the mill random guy and might know something other than "the swing" if your lucky, they all teach the "perfect swing", not teaching your swing.

Go to a reputable guy/course/facility and they'll teach you YOUR swing.

kelvinsense

degen gambler
May 9, 2008
I've been searching for instructors aswell.

I've searched the courses near me and they usually have contact information / e-mails of teaching pro's there. People say you want PGA/LGPA certified, video analysis. What I did was e-mail some of the local pro's with my situation skill level. I want to find a teacher who is experienced, and will actually put effort into teaching me.

They'll give you prices, whether or not they use video technology, etc.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Here is a list of top 100 instructors.
Top 100 Golf Teachers - Golf Teachers - Golf.com

You may see if they have one in your area. While some of them I am sure are costly, some of them may be no more than anyone else. Golfonline went through a recent transition and this is the new link. They used to have an option to list like the top 25 by state, so you may search a little on that site and see if they still do somewhere.

While I am sure that there are good instructors on driving ranges, and I really don't want to debate that part or offend anyone in the process. At least based on my experience, I have found people have the best luck on a instructor at a course. Where usually they also make money by having you play the course, so are usually less likely to try and get you to take a lot of unnecessary lessons as I have seen in many cases elsewhere, where their main source of income is lessons. Where at a course, they have a vested interest in you coming back whether it is for lessons or rounds. I have just seen a lot of cases where friends have taken lessons, and been coerced into taking like 10 lessons in the span of a month or so. By the time they were done, they were paralyzed so bad with swing thoughts going through their head they were ready to give up the game. Seemed like the only one who made out well as a result was the instructor.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I think any teacher worth their mettle should teach by a lesson by lesson basis, this then puts the power with the pupil on whether they fit the bill or not, and also pressures the teacher to strive to be the best.

You should treat it like you are interviewing them for a job as in reality it is like a consultant in business on a week to week contract, if they dont live up to their own billing then they lose trade. i hate block lessons, they get the money early and they are bored by lesson 5!

🔥 Latest posts