• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finishing it Questions

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Finishing up the Superquad, hopefully. Still have to do something with the ferrule as Rock had said in the other thread. OK, so what's the length of this club right now? The end of the tape is exactly on the end of the grip in these photos. I had done a pre-measure, cut and grip install to get it to 45". There is like 45 1/4" to the heel but looks like around just over 46 to the very bottom of the sole, the longest possible measurement.

Do I need to re-cut this thing to get to 45"? How much effect would gripping down a little have? I have the V-55 on it and if I were to use the grip position on that grip it would be like about an inch choked down anyway.

I'd also like to get this to around the same swingweight as my FW woods. I set those up to TM's factory headweight for a D2 and at 42.5"-85g in the 5w and 73g-43" in the 3W. They should be at a D2 with those specs and to me feel very much the same as my irons, which are at D2 according to Miura's specs.

measure1.jpg

measure2.jpg
measure1.jpg
measure2.jpg

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Wow, that ferrule is going to take a long while to finish nicely.

As for length, you really need a ruler you can stand up. Aluminum ruler, yard stick, anything.

You need to set the club sole square on the ground and run the ruler along the back fo the club. Sole the ruler on the ground and measure to 44 5/8, this will give you a 45 inch playing length after the grip is installed.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ok. So the measurement would run along the back of the club while it's sitting at adress? Just did it with the tape. I am at exactly 45" doing it that way, grip is already installed. I put it on before I installed the shaft to help me get everything in line, grip, logo, dead square adress position after install. It sits very nice in line with the V-55 grip, slightly held "open" at adress. That's the way I have the most success with a slightly close face. Grip it lightly, slightly weak and open and it just turns itself over with ease.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
cool,

Now get some peper towel and some acetone. Soak the paper and then spin the ferrule in the paper towel Spin it fairly quickly and apply pressure to the ferrule where it meets the hosel. You may have to repeat this about 3-4 times to get it down enough. After you get it level wet a clean paper towel with acetone again and using qucik strokes polish the ferrule from the hosel upwards to the shaft. This should make it very smooth and very shiney.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
cool,

Now get some peper towel and some acetone. Soak the paper and then spin the ferrule in the paper towel Spin it fairly quickly and apply pressure to the ferrule where it meets the hosel. You may have to repeat this about 3-4 times to get it down enough. After you get it level wet a clean paper towel with acetone again and using qucik strokes polish the ferrule from the hosel upwards to the shaft. This should make it very smooth and very shiney.

This process works great with an old pair of underwear. Something that won't release fuzz.

It'll take some time, as Lyle said, but it's very, very easy.

That ferrule reminds me of my first Callaway reshaft....:laugh: . Looked like a million bucks afterwards tho.

R35

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ok. Thanks. I think I'll do that later on and do my 5W at the same time, never did it.

Now, back to swingweighting. Let's assume these to be facts. The stock shaft played to 45", the head contained 26g's of movable weight, the swingweight was a D5. Now I have the same length shaft but it's 3 grams heavier and the new grip has 2 layers of tape under it. So for the sake of argument lets say the new shaftweight is like 4 grams heavier than the previous. Now let's assume that every other club in my bag, 3W-9i is at approximately a D2. I want this to feel as close to the same as my other clubs do.

What should I add to the head for weight? I will set it up slight draw bias as the 3 and 5 are and have quite a few combinations to work with. Just looking for an approximate number, nothing exact, just fairly close. With 26g's it will be even heavier than a D5 now, right?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The swing weight will actually be ever so slightly heavier than before. Your best bet is to leave it be. Adding weight to the butt will fool the scale and lower the SW number but will do nothing to change the way the head feels.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The swing weight will actually be ever so slightly heavier than before. Your best bet is to leave it be. Adding weight to the butt will fool the scale and lower the SW number but will do nothing to change the way the head feels.

But I want to go more towards a D2 to match the rest of my clubs... D2 is lighter, right? I actually have it dropped down to 24g's overall now with a 14-1-8-1 heel to toe. I'd like to set it a little less draw biased than that but the thing is that more towards the face will increase workability, which I sort of don't care to do. I have the 13* 3W as my worker off the tee to find a spot.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Ez

To get it to D2 you need to get the weight down by 6 grams. So if you have 26g of weights installed, drop it down to 20. The other option is to jkeep the weights at 26 and cut it down 1/2 an inch.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Thanks Rock but that thing is just way too sesitive for what I have availble to measure with. I'm balancing off one finger and using a food scale. 1/4" changes it a whole weight or more. I took 3 different driver measurements and got a C1to a D3. My 3W is a junior club and my 5W is a womens.
icon10.gif
I'd better just throw the stock weight setup in the Superquad and quit fecking with it. I went on TM's site for the 3 and 5 and just set them up with the factory nuetral weight and I hit them great. Seems with this swingweight stuff an inch is a mile.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ez

To get it to D2 you need to get the weight down by 6 grams. So if you have 26g of weights installed, drop it down to 20. The other option is to jkeep the weights at 26 and cut it down 1/2 an inch.

That's the answer I'm looking for... Thanks Lyle. I'll set it up between 20-22 and see how that plays for me. Just looking to transition from club to club a little easier.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Will you quite playing around and hit the damn thing for God's sake!!! We want to know how that shaft works!! :laugh: :laugh:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Ok, ok. I have it set up 1-12-8-1 at 22g's. I'm heading out in about a half hour to the course. It looks a little $hitty out but that will hopefully mean not too many people. I'll bring some extra balls. I figure 1 mile to the course for $22 vs. 15miles to the range for $10 is a better bet. Plus then I can really guage distance vs. other drivers I've used there. Also should the head fly off I don't have to worry about it hitting another ball out on the range and denting the head, hopefully a soft landing if it happens. :)

🔥 Latest posts