• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Firmest greens ever

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Played a relatively short course on sunday morning. Haven't been playing lights out but hitting the ball well figured I could get a little confidence boost. Well first hole out par 5 I lay up to 75...uphill shot sandwedge...hits on the front of the green and said to my buddy it sounded pretty firm....get up to the green and I am 5 yards off the back. Second hole short par 4....3i off tee got 115 left...a little downhill gap wedge hits in the middle of the green and one hops completely off and end up in the woods OB. The third hole is another short par 4....3w up the left side 100 left downhill....hit sandwedge....lands on the front third of the green ended up 5 yards off the back. 3 good approach shots and I was 4 over thru 3. Went on to a smooth 48 on a 2700 yard par 35. They have 3 nines we got sent to the "hardest" of the three. Greens were good and held....finished with two birdies to shoot 39....for a terrible 87. Not the confidence boost I was looking for.

Jason

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
When I head to the golf course, I always wear a Depends diaper, just in case I shoot close to an 87.:faintthud I'm not feeling even a little bit sorry for ya!:shocked:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
When I head to the golf course, I always wear a Depends diaper, just in case I shoot close to an 87.:faintthud I'm not feeling even a little bit sorry for ya!:shocked:

:biglol: I've been wondering where you've been.

And yeah, some courses have brutally hard greens. The nicer the course, the harder the greens...usually.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
There is a shorter course like that I play once in while. Greens are hard as rocks. When I play there I tend to try to hit my max yardage short irons and wedges, well, mostly wedges to try to hold them. Most of them are elevated to boot so you really can't run a shot on. It's nuts when I hit below the pin, into an upslope with a 145yd. PW and it still goes off the back of the green.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Hell, I played tonight on my course and they just punched the greens, and they were slow as shit with the sand and fertilizer they spread on them..

But firm as hell... I feel your pain. I hit a 3 wood off the tee on 18, left me with a nice little 9i from the middle of the fairway.. Hit RIGHT UNDER THE FRIGGIN FLAG... and bounced straight up and shot off the side of the green, into the ridge by the bunker.

Can't stand it...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Worst I've ever had? Hit on in 2 on a par five, but didn't stay there. Was a front flag, landed about 18" from the pin, and ended up in a tree behind the green.

What could have easily been a 3 ended as a 7.

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
:biglol: I've been wondering where you've been.

My friend's son was in from out of town last week so we ended up playing over 200 holes of golf in a week and I didn't have the strength to type when I got home! I mean, think about that, 200 holes in a week and I still suck:unhappy:.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My friend's son was in from out of town last week so we ended up playing over 200 holes of golf in a week and I didn't have the strength to type when I got home! I mean, think about that, 200 holes in a week and I still suck:unhappy:.

No sweat, you were just holding off so you didn't embarass your friend.

Pretty sweet though, I need to do one of those weeks sometime.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
And yeah, some courses have brutally hard greens. The nicer the course, the harder the greens...usually.

Really? It's the exact opposite around here. The nicer courses have greens that'll hold all kinds of shots, and I often find 5i approaches sitting right next to their pitch marks.

On the other hand, we played a cow pasture last Sunday morning, because it was a last-minute deal on a holiday weekend, and was a joke. They don't have a sprinkler system, so the greens get just enough water to keep the grass half-alive. Nowhere else gets any water apart from rain. The whole place, greens and all, resembles brown cart path. You couldn't stop a 20y pitch on the green, unless you flopped it straight up, but you couldn't do that off the hardpan you were sitting on. It was horrible.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
A course that I used to belong to had very firm greens like you guys are talking about. This is when you need to develop a new plan. On the 9th hole, most people could hit driver/sandwedge or 3 wood/some type of wedge into the green. Problem was, that any shot would release all the way to the back of the green because not only was it hard as a brick, it was also slightly pitched front to back.

I would hit my 6 iron as a long chip shot and could get to the front pin locations by bouncing the ball on in between the traps. A guy I was playing with one day thought that it was "funny" that I "had" to hit a 6 iron from 100 yards out. I thought it was funny when I bet him I could get it closer than he would with a wedge on three shots for $10 each and walked to #10 thirty dollars richer.

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Lol I had a tournament like a month or so ago, it hadnt rained for 4 weeks here. They have a water ordinance at the golf course and after 2 weeks with no rain they are not allowed to water the course. I hit a lob wedge to 5 yd in FRONT of the green, it bounces and rolls off the back of a 75ft long green. Dont get much firmer than that, the greens were so dry and hard they were filled with cracks over an inch wide in some places.

Members online

No members online now.