• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

first country club round today

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
alright im on the HS golf team and we played a team in league play today at Oak Pointe Country Club in Brighton and man i loved the conditions. These were some tight holes at points to the point wherei had to tee off with three n two irons. now on the otherhand there were open holes with hidden hazards which i found to be a nice addition as i didnt go in them:).
But the biggest thing i noticed was the difference in the speeds of the greens compared to most. now im not talking about a nine or a ten rolling speed... i thought maybe elven to eleven and a half. man and these greens were perfect flat not level but flat surfaces. If i had the chance thats where id play all the time. It tested everything i had thats for sure as every hole had some place to go OB in. i ended up shooting a 42 with one triple bogey on a 200 yard par three with an ob on it. but other than that i had a birdie three pars and four bogeys. god i loved walking that course today... do all of you like the country clubs that you get to play at once in a while or is it just me
thanks
shea

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
By "country club" do you mean a "private" course that normally you couldn't play? I've gotten on some of these and found them to vary as much in quality as public courses do. If I mis-interpreted this just shoot me. I've probably gotten too senile anyway.

:)

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
I'm a muni guy myself. I had plenty of opportunities to play on a Country Club and somehow found a way to take the day off work. My friend is a waiter there and gets me on as a guest on caddy's day. I also became friends with his boss, the clubhouse manager. Great course conditions. Plus, it was kinda cool playing alongside 10 million dollar homes.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That's the best thing about HS golf and where I am from, the Sun Country Junior PGA Tour, is that you get to play all of these nice courses for free(HS) or 15 dollars(Sun Country).

BoarderDave

SoCal Golfer
Aug 24, 2006
Torrance, CA
Country
United States United States
When I was at my parents house I had a private CC about 5 minutes right down the street from me but I could never play it. When I was on my HS team they changed our home-course for my junior year to that country club right down the street from my house. I loved it. Not only did I finally get to play this nice country club course that I always wanted to play.. but I got to play it EVERYDAY, for FREE! It was awesome. Such a nice course, well maintained, played very nicely. Only downside was trying to get my teammates to not act like high-schoolers while out there. We kept getting notices and stuff from the club saying that certain players were doing such and such and members were complaining. :(

All in all, I love the course much more than I liked any of the other public courses I was playing.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I have played a few private courses and if I had the cash, that's exactly what I'd be playing.

The conditions are mostly better. With the money these guys are upping for course upkeep they damn sure should be.

It seems to me Country Club greens are always FAST. I think they can keep them that way due to the limited amount of rounds actually played there. My home course (muni) gets 50,000-60,000 rounds every year. They have to keep the greens longer (slower) just so they don't get burnt out from all the traffic.

My sister's father in law is a member of an ultra-exclusive private course. They only have 300 members. I got to play there and there was absolutely nobody there. We had a caddy. It was awesome. Best golf experience I've had.

If I could afford it, I'd definitely be playing a private course.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
I tell you the way to go its to caddie at some country club becuase you get to play for free on mondays, thats what i do and its great, i hook up with the others caddies and we put some money down and just have a good time on a nice course all by oursleves.

🔥 Latest posts