• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First Eagle!

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
United States United States
So yesterday we palyed a round of golf - I've never had an eagle, was close a couple of times on a Par 5 but the putt never happened.

Yesterday's weather was sunny but the wind was not kind for golf! on the 9th we are playing into a stong wind, tee shot down the middle but not very far.....I was 182m from the green playing into this wind, take out my hybrid and play a crisp shot toward the green, slight fade, see the ball bounce and think to myself burdie oppertunity as you can only see the flag and not to the hole.

as we walk up, expecting my ball to lie nice and close to the flag I see no ball.....one of the guys tell me I went over...thought it's possible because my hybrid is my 195m-200m club but playing into the wind that would not be the case!

start searching around the green with no luck. I tell the guys I'm just going to check the hole for the joke of it - low and behold, there was my ball!! Boom - FIRST Eagle and i didn't even see it happened!

This was on a Par 4 Stroke 2 - man I was pumped!! What a feeling!! Best part of it all, it was a temp green as well, you'll see in the back ground the "normal" green is being re-done!

View attachment 26996
Congratulations! My first eagle was a hole out on a par four as well. I've only made one other and it was a chip in from off the green on a par five. I've had lots of chances but apparently I'm the worst putter in the world.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Nice work Chris! Feels good, right?

BTW, what is an "m"? Izzat one of those measurements we decided not to use in USA because it would eliminate the Quarter Pounder at McD's?
Mile. He's a big hitter.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
We have par five that got shortened to like 425 yds because of a temp green, I got it down in three once, but i don't count mine, because it might as well be a birdie, but if you had hyb in, it sounds pretty legit.

Unless your like GeZeR D who has a hyb in on every par 4

OP
J.P.C.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
We have par five that got shortened to like 425 yds because of a temp green, I got it down in three once, but i don't count mine, because it might as well be a birdie, but if you had hyb in, it sounds pretty legit.

Unless your like GeZeR D who has a hyb in on every par 4

i'm taking mine as fully legit:D, seeing it was way out, into the wind and the temp green was 20m closer than usual :p - agreed on your scenario though, still counts as a three on the score card though!

converted it quickly to yards, I dunked it from 199 yards (google converter used) :eek: never thought it was that far out.

P.S. was my first - definitely going to try that on every par 4!!:ninja:

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
agreed - Temp greens or not!

Temp greens putt way more difficult than the usual green!! don't try and read a temp green, just aim the ball at the hole and hit it!

Our local club was closed for a year for green renovation and they put in temps on the fairways just in front of each green complex. They were impossible to putt on so they cut 17" cups on them. There were no legit scores on that course for 1 year, but I had a few "eagles". Couldn't count those in good conscience, but a 4" cup on a temp green? BOOM! That's tough!

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Our local club was closed for a year for green renovation and they put in temps on the fairways just in front of each green complex. They were impossible to putt on so they cut 17" cups on them. There were no legit scores on that course for 1 year, but I had a few "eagles". Couldn't count those in good conscience, but a 4" cup on a temp green? BOOM! That's tough!
We had 8" cups so still no dice

OP
J.P.C.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa

yeah, bigger cups help - but this course with the temp greens had the regular cups - think it made it more special.

🔥 Latest posts