• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First golf lesson results...

jerryopela

Jun 7, 2005
Well I had my first golf lesson last night and I was not surprised to find that I was doing almost nothing right. He said my grip was good, but that was about it. I was standing to close to my ball, swinging from the outside in (which made a killer slice on almost every shot), breaking my wrist to early in the swing causing me to hit behind the ball, no lower body follow through, and looking up and not at the ball on impact so I was topping the ball. Amazingly he fixed almost all of it in 30 minutes. He had me take slow 1/4 backswings with my 7 iron for about 20 shots to get my wrist action right and then increase my swing from there. I even had the ball going left a little (no more slice). Out of 50 balls only 3 sliced. I am still standing up to soon to look at the ball and topping it but he told me to watch my club hit the ball before I looked up and it helped a lot. We also worked on the proper way to chip, pitch, and hit out of the sand for 30 minutes, and I made some progress, but I still cant hit out of the sand properly for anything.

He told me to practice some drills for a month or two before I even thought about taking another lesson, and also told me if I was at the range just come to his office and get him for a free 10 min review if I am having problems with something.

I just hope I can remember some of this when I play this Sunday.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Forget about it Sunday and just play-- work like hell until then to and maybe some will ingrain before play begins.

Sounds like a great pro, free reviews. Keep us posted.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
That is fantastic...we have provided suggestions on this subject for a long time and get few who will heed it.

This guy sounds like a really good teacher. I would follow all of his suggestions to the letter. Hit balls once or twice a week and make sure he will be there when you do. Get him to check you while you hit balls. This is outstanding for him to offer to check you for free...take advantage of that.

Also I love the idea of waiting a few weeks for the next lesson. This is the right thing to do. You have to let it assimilate into your mind and body for a few weeks before going back...

Thanks for letting us know how you are progressing and keep it up.

One last thought...do not take any advice during your lesson series from anyone other than the pro you are working with. If someone else offers full swing advice - it may be at variance with what he is teaching you. There are dozens of ways to teach golf and some of them are in conflict with one another....so if you start to progress and you can Repeat what he tells you - stick with him. Taking advice from someone else who has a conflicting teaching method could cause a Train Wreck for your swing...

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
thats great that it worked well for you, but you mentioned that he said quite a few things were wrong, don't focus on not doing those, focus on what you were doing right, otherwise you'll find yourself doing those things you are tryin not to, my teacher helped me find this channel of thought and its helped tremendously, keep it up

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Can you give the guys name and area, there might be some people who would want to take a lesson from him. It is not easy to find a good teacher that communicates well.

🔥 Latest posts