• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First Lesson

bosox21

Jun 21, 2010
I will getting my first private lesson tomorrow (first any type of lesson really) and not to offend any lesson givers here, but I was wondering if there anything I should know about the lesson process. I ask this because I have a good friend who is a lawyer and says all of the firms he has ever worked at love it when clients do not do their own due dilligence before sitting down because nothing is better than being able to bill someone for elementary conversation. Though this is one data point this makes me weary of all pay by hour services, right or wrong. And my weariness may be misplaced but I wanted to check with others who are more informed than I am.

My goal is to become a scratch golfer and I realize this will take steps in between but I want to becomemore consistent and get drills/exercises to give myself more accuracy and distance (unique eh?). I was hoping this broad generalization would be a fine starting point. I was also hoping to ask him about my grips (or even my grips) to help the hand pain I get.

Thanks in advance

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
I coached my way through college although it was in a different sport,tennis, I may have some opinions that are applicable to your question.

The elementary converation can take place while you are hitting balls in the very begining of your lesson a good coach will be multitasking while this is going on by listening to your goals and your perception of what is needed at the same time as diagnosing your swing and formulating a lesson plan / drills that are designed to either improve your specific swing.

If the lessons are going to be recurring the design will be a more goal oriented, almost utilitarian with each lesson building towards a better game for the student based on what I believe to be the best technique. Think complete retooling of skills.

If the lessons are going to be more sporadic or one time only I would point out the general faults in technique and provide the student with drills to improve their existing technique to gain more positive results.

Just my $.02 hope this helps. Have fun in your lesson :)

john

nickswan

Jun 30, 2010
I've been having regular lessons over the past 2 years. My pro now really knows my swing, general faults I've had, and what I'm working to improve. Generally now I go to him and start by hitting balls so he can check a bad habit hasn't crept back in. Maybe in the winter we'll work on something technical to improve things.

If you really want to get down to scratch I think you need a coach you can work with over the long term, so for your first lesson figure out if his teaching style matches how you want to be taught, and if you generally like the person :)

Hope this helps
Nick

🔥 Latest posts