• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First practice time video of the year

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
OMG. My swing is still horrible! This is now my 2nd anniversary of the month I started swinging a golf club, and I still have an ugly swing. :(

I took the video cam to the range Saturday and my swing is so pathetic I won't post any of it.

1: my backswing is too far inside so I'm a little OTT on the downswing
2: I need way more knee bend
3: my balance is terrible
4: I still have a little reverse pivot and could use some torso tilt to the right at setup
5: at and after contact my right arm is not extended and my right shoulder does not fire through. My right arm looks really cramped and I stand up too quickly.

BUT: I now have several things to work on. :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I read about a drill for the inside backswing/OTT move and started using it. The original drill was called "mission impossible". It was to put a stand bag behind you and take the club back outside of it on the backswing and inside of it on the downswing. Sounded a little dangerous so I just use a ball or whatever on the ground. I think it works.... for me at least. I had my best striking round ever yesterday and shot a 38 on one of the toughest front 9's my state has to offer. I'm just going a little outside/inside and playing the fade it produces. I've heard a few decent golfer's used this method in the past.
icon10.gif

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Last evening in my living room, I worked on trying to incorporate fixes for all of the faults at one time. That's really hard to do. :) 17 gazillion swing thoughts may be too many.

I'm definitely trying to make my backswing more outside and my downswing more inside. Hope to go to the range this evening.

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
I'm definitely trying to make my backswing more outside and my downswing more inside. Hope to go to the range this evening.

maybe try the drill ive been using.. move your right foot back a step, rotate hips to coiled position at address. This opens up the hips so that it makes it easier to come on the inside on the downswing.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
maybe try the drill ive been using.. move your right foot back a step, rotate hips to coiled position at address. This opens up the hips so that it makes it easier to come on the inside on the downswing.

This sounds like the "stagger step" drill I use as well. Helps me to swing around my body. I even use it on the course for an iron shot now and then. I used it the other day from 175 with a 6iron. I had to hit a slight draw to hit the green, right would have been into a nasty bunkerland and straight would have clipped tree branches. I put about a 3 yd. draw on it, just missing the branches and onto the green.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
inside backswing promotes ott? i have so much to learn...i thought outside-in was ott?

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Doc post your swing we won't laugh....:D

Liar!

Jules, according to David Leadbetter, the OTT on the downswing can be "cured" at least partially by having the backswing take more of an outside path. He specifically mentioned Jim Furyk, but did say NOT to take it to that extreme.

I went to the range last evening to try to correct some faults. You know, it's not easy trying to correct 8 swing faults all at one time.

I now have a pulled groin muscle and tendinitis in my right shoulder.

Results were mixed: short and mid irons were great: high and straight. Long irons and fairways were erratic as usual. Driver was OK straight but no more distance. Sigh. I sure was hoping for some more yards.

Since I have a reserve meeting this weekend, I may not get to video myself again for a while, which may be a good thing.

🔥 Latest posts