• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First Real Lesson

LazySumo

Apr 11, 2005
So last Wed I had my first real lesson. Some of you may remember my post a few weeks back about signing up for one of Hank Haney's one day schools or a Dave Pelz workshop. Well, I took everyone's advice and contacted a local country club that I do photography for, The Golf Club at Castle Hills. They hooked me up with the Tour Pro there and I took a one hour lesson.

Wow.

You know the old saying, you get what you pay for? This guy was worth it. We went over some basic putting, which I needed and he helped out with my chipping. His theory is that the short game and putting are the most important, which I've always believed. The next lesson will look at short irons and the midrange game. I had a blast and am going out this weekend to try out some of his lessons.

Also, I gotta admit this was pretty cool. There were maybe two dozen people out on the putting greens around the schoolhouse. Then here I come with the guy in charge in tow and he's giving me some 1:1's on pitching and putting. Even if you aren't, every now and then it's cool to feel like your a fat cat, eh? :)

I'll post some scores after my round tomorrow and if the lessons really sank in or not.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Glad to hear it came out good for you. This is the best way to go - unless you have $2000 or more to spend on a multiday school..keep with it and in 2-3 months you will be a better playa...

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Glad to hear it.

By the way,I'm starting to hate pelz on the Golf Channel,and when 'Eddie' wobbles on I want to smash the tele.I suspect I need to chill a little.

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I dont care for Pelz much myself either. He think just because he's done calculations and knows the averages you have to fall into that category or pull off a low percentage shot now and then. I bought his short game bible and I dont care for it much. Way too technical about things when you need to be describing what something feels like rather than making your swing look like an image. But then again many pro's are guilty of that.

Congrats on the lesson, as they said keep at it and you will see your new knowledge pay off. :)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Agreed,but Eddie just gets on my tits for no logical reason.

OP
L

LazySumo

Apr 11, 2005
"Gets on my tits"

Gonna have to borrow that one, lol.

Well, I played a round this weekend and while a couple hours of practice on putting and the short game were helpful my long game still sucked MAJOR. I'm planning on another session about Halloween with lots of practice in between.

🔥 Latest posts