• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First round in a couple years

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
So I ended up playing hookie from class the other day with the intentions of going and playing 9 holes. Well, found a muni that is only 11 dollars to walk, so I gave that a shot. I had only taken my new driver and 4 wood to the range once since they came in the mail, and I haven't played a full 18 in a few years.

Before I took these couple of years off, I was shooting in the mid to high 90's with an occasional low 90 round. At the range, I've figured out that I was slumping over apparently and have been focusing on standing more upright and have my feet slightly closer together and it has improved my iron play tremendously.

My drives were the problem for most of the round, but on the third hole I sent one down and it actually went where I wanted, on the left side of the fairway, but much further than I had expected (I wasted a couple minutes looking for it too short.) My iron shot landed on the green, but was a good 20-25 feet past the hole. I was playing with a guy and his 9 year old son who were beginners, but were actually a lot of fun to play with.

I even announced to them when I was lining up my putt that this was my birdie attempt. I lined up, took my practice strokes, and sunk the putt! My first round in years and I made my second ever birdie! Hahaha! That's why I came back!

The rest of my round was uneventful, playing my typical bogey to over bogey golf mixed in with a par or two. They ended up having to go somewhere and let me use their cart for the rest of the round after hole 7, but it was so hot that I ended up calling it a day after 14 holes since I was starting to lose focus and strength.

I'm glad to be back!

Cliffs: Made my second ever birdie on the third hole after a 2-3 year hiatus.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Congrats!!! Don't wait 2 years to go out again. Never know, there might be a birdie waiting next week or next month. If you don't go out, you'll never know if you missed it.

OP
twelvegage

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
Agreed and thank you! I'm trying to find a way to make it out early so I can finish a round and not have to battle heat exhaustion.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Hey, I had a light week... last week... at work. I'm almost 66 years old and played 36 two of those days. Each day the second 18 was played in triple-digit temps. If an old f**t like me can do it, surely a young flat-belly can!!!:D

OP
twelvegage

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
Ha! I appreciate the motivation! Tomorrow's my last class for the summer and I'm sure I can justify a couple of cheap rounds while I'm off, despite the temperature!

Members online

No members online now.