• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First round of 2011?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Forecast looks decent, kids off school, public holiday all point towards a round of golf tomorrow, St. Patrick's Day. It will be my first sojourn of 2011. My expectations are uber high right now, but the reality is I may not make it past the first tee. Will have to see how my hip reacts to the whole thing. I don't really want to play unless I can hit full shots. I'm more nervous about walking over hilly, uneven ground.

My son is now a member so I might suggest a 9 hole family outing. Will keep SWMBO happy and will be a gentle introduction back.

Report to follow.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Have fun man!

I went out last week and hit the ball much better than expected. For a pure striker like you I expect nothing short of level par ;-)

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'll be level par standing on the 1st tee!

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Question, Irish...have you gone to the range and hit any balls? If so, shouldnt that let you know whether or not your hip is going to prevent you from playing?

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Ha! Missed St. Patrick's Day, spent it with family doing fun stuff, but I did get to play on Saturday. I have to say I was a little nervous on the 1st tee, but smoked one off the tee, followed by a nice approach and 2 putts for an easy par. Finished with a +9, with a few idiot shots (duffed chips), but totally delighted with that. Guys were joking that they are going to get a new hip done.

To be honest I'm totally wrecked today. My shins are wrecked. I haven't walked 5+ miles in almost 3 months. So I am NOT match fit. Happy though that I can take a 80-90% swing without too much pain. It was as much a mental hurdle as it was a physical one. Lots of people warning me not to rush back

And I got my first taste for the Supertri. Nice! Balooned a litttle into the breeze, but seems very forgiving and solid when hit in the middle of the club.

So game on for 2011. He's baaacccckkkkkk!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
awesome to hear IG! It will be another month here minimum before we can play.

What shaft is in that Supertri?

Funny story, I played my first round down in TN last week, drove it great, shot a 76 thanks to 3 birds. First thing I did when I got back to VT was buy a new driver.

Makes perfect sense right???

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Cheers man. It's the stock Fuji Motore stiff. Bought it as a starter reference and will use it as bargaining collateral for an upgrade. Will be a few weeks yet before I am swinging it enough to really get a feel for it. Nice shaft though.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
New = Supertri TP with a Fuji Motore S
Old = Maltby CT professional 9.5 with Graman 540UL S

Also Tour Swing TVC 9 with Fuji Motore R and Maltby VT 9.5 with VS proto.

Going to get to a shop with a launch monitor and a multitude of R9 shafts to demo. Totally sold on the "screw in shaft" stuff. 30 secs and you are ready to rock. So once you get a head you like, it's all about the shaft, right?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Good job, IG!!

VT, what are your 2 drivers (new and old)?

Old - 9.5 Ping i15 UST Axivcore Red
New - 9.5 Titleist 910 D3 Stock Diamana 'Ahina

Throwback - TM R510TP Fujikura Tour Spec 27.3

🔥 Latest posts