• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First time ever on a launch monitor.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Today after I played in the competition I went to a local golf store where they have this launch monitor program thing, which is apparently really accurate, and I would say it wasn't to far off.

Anyway I was demoing a Nakashima 19* utility: I can't remeber all the results but my swing speed varied between 109 - 123mph in about 5 shots. My ball speed was 164mph I think. Launch angle was 4* I think. And the average distance was around 224 yards with the utility. I then hit a 6 iron Callway x tour, and my swing speed was a bit lower just over a 100, and it said my club face was a little closed but I hit in 187 yards, I think the x tours are ethier really long or the machine didn't quite get it accurate this time.

Anyone else ever been on a launch machine and how did you fair up?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
187 yards is superb with the 6 iron, but not so riduculously long that it seems inhuman. Kudos to you, bro.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I think the numbers might be off a little. 126mph with a hybrid seems a little high to me.

Also - 185 is not totally out of the ordinary for a 6 iron.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
With most launch monitors you can make adjustments to allow for wind and such.
Always hit one of your own clubs where you know your distance. If you hit a 6 iron 170 and you get on the machine and it says 185, you know you need to factor that in.
They will give you a 20 mph tailwind so when you see you hit that club way farther you will buy it.
We always keep ours at 0. We get some complaints when they see a low number but when they see the average for 10 shots it is about how they normally hit a club.
A lot of tour players are at 126 with a driver so hitting that speed with a 5 wood would make me a little suspicous. Not that it can't be done but that is a pretty amazing number.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
When using a launch monitor, I always make it a point to take one of my own clubs to compare. Last time I went, it said I hit my own 6i an average of 189 yards on 10 shots. The guy told me that I hit it really well, and I told him that if I could only get the extra 25 yards on the course, I would agree. He just kind of smiled.

Although comparing the 189 it gave me on my 6i to the 215 it gave me on the 23* 4i hybrid I was testing, told me what I needed to know, I do in fact get 185-190 with the hybrid. So I would say that I find them extremely accurate in distinguishing the differences in clubs, but I wouldn't accept the distance without further comparing to a club you know is correct. I actually think some places do this intentionally to make it look as though you hit the crap out of the clubs, although they may lose future business in doing so.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Was that in Colin McElderry's Golf Ballistix place in Lisburn, The Master...?

Some set up down there, like.....

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Andy_79 said:
Was that in Colin McElderry's Golf Ballistix place in Lisburn, The Master...?

Some set up down there, like.....

Nah but I've bought stuff of him before a couple of sonartecs, though never been up to his place but must get up. I thought his name was Robert?

I was just at Nevada's in Bangor here, I don't buy from the shop just round to purely check out their set up.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.