• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fitting Question

PeterMan

Jun 21, 2006
I am planning on a fitting before the season starts this year. The local pro shop uses the Ping fitting system. I am interested in Ping irons and a driver, specifically the i20 series, however, I have not hit these or any Ping clubs yet. Obviously I will want to do that...

My question is: Is a Ping fitting any different than getting fit in general? After the Ping fitting I assume I will be given a dot colour for Ping irons but if I don't particularly like the Ping irons does that type of fitting apply to other manufacturers in general?

Thanks!

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
My question is: Is a Ping fitting any different than getting fit in general?

-not that I am aware of.

After the Ping fitting I assume I will be given a dot colour for Ping irons
but if I don't particularly like the Ping irons does that type of fitting apply to other manufacturers in general?

-Yes but you should reference a ping chart as the others dont color code they use inches an angles.

There is a site for the True Length Technology fitting that some of these guys swear by. It uses some trigonometry and is the most sane thing I have heard of so far. You should check it out also.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
My question is: Is a Ping fitting any different than getting fit in general?

-not that I am aware of.

After the Ping fitting I assume I will be given a dot colour for Ping irons
but if I don't particularly like the Ping irons does that type of fitting apply to other manufacturers in general?

-Yes but you should reference a ping chart as the others dont color code they use inches an angles.

There is a site for the True Length Technology fitting that some of these guys swear by. It uses some trigonometry and is the most sane thing I have heard of so far. You should check it out also.
Well played sir!

OP
P

PeterMan

Jun 21, 2006
Cool thanks, so that makes sense, obviously the colours are referencing lie angles, length, etc...

True Length Technology fitting does not appear to be available in my area... I am hopeful that the local pro will do a good job with the Ping system... I have tried a couple of fitting sessions in the past and neither have gone well... Both were inside on mats and I just was just not able to get in a good groove with my swing. This session will be outside on the range so I am hopeful that will help a lot...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I am planning on a fitting before the season starts this year. The local pro shop uses the Ping fitting system. I am interested in Ping irons and a driver, specifically the i20 series, however, I have not hit these or any Ping clubs yet. Obviously I will want to do that...

My question is: Is a Ping fitting any different than getting fit in general? After the Ping fitting I assume I will be given a dot colour for Ping irons but if I don't particularly like the Ping irons does that type of fitting apply to other manufacturers in general?

Thanks!
Ping invented the fitting cart. Karsten was marketing clubs with the dot system... every set specifically fit to the player... long before any other manufacturer. Today, most major OEM's have fitting carts in green grass pro shops and in some of the major retailers.

Once you are fit for a specific color code by the Ping fitter, your pro will be more than glad to order clubs for you. If you don't care for the Pings, be very careful using the same criteria as you shop for other brands. "Standard" lie angles are not consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you are fit for 1 degree upright in Ping, that could be 3 degrees upright in a Mizuno.

The i25 irons are great sticks. However, Ping also has the G series and the S series. I don't know what you are playing now or your preference in irons. If you are going for a fitting, don't cheat yourself by not trying the different models available in the fitting cart.

OP
P

PeterMan

Jun 21, 2006
I was actually interested in the i20 not the newer i25 but I definitely plan on trying out all they have. I just filled out my stats on the Ping website and the result was Green dot ... It will be interesting to see how close that is to what the actual fitting results are... too bad I have to wait so long under all this snow :-(

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I was actually interested in the i20 not the newer i25 but I definitely plan on trying out all they have. I just filled out my stats on the Ping website and the result was Green dot ... It will be interesting to see how close that is to what the actual fitting results are... too bad I have to wait so long under all this snow :-(
Also, the Ping site has a list of all their certified fitters. See if there is at least one more withing driving distance, other than your local pro. Go through at least two fittings, if possible, with certified Ping fitters. You will get two different sets of personal comments from those fitters and, could well, end up with two different results.

🔥 Latest posts