• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Five Good Reasons To Reform or Drop The Tavistock Cup

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I scammed this off a golf site, thought it was quite amusing...

1. The Tavistock Cup in its current format does nothing to promote the game of golf. Quite the opposite, it puts people off. The event is more like Horse Polo or a Regatta than a golf tournament.

2. Being among the elite is one thing, but flaunting it on TV, while the world burns is a whole different thing.

poulter helicopter 3. The best defence of those involved is that the event raises millions for charity each year. Yet there is absolutely no mention of charity anywhere on the homepage of the Tavistock Cup website. There is however a very very expensive watch! Don’t you think charity might start by saving $5,000 a time by cutting out the luxury helicopters that pointlessly drop players back down the road. We had that in Ireland once, it was called The Galway Races.

4. Isn’t it more likely that the event raises more for the property developers in the participating clubs and gated communities and those sellin2 pairs of shoesg the toys that the mega loaded surround themselves with? Outrageous product placement of super cars like the red Audi parked in the middle of the fairway that David Feherty spent five minutes trying to start kind of proves my point.

5. Watching ultra rich players and their invited spectators from gated communities snort and guffaw over prawn sandwiches doesn’t exactly warm people’s hearts as they struggle to pay the mortgage and healthcare.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Totally agree! Golf suffered many years by being viewed as the "sport of the wealthy". The common man could not afford to play the game. The common man was not often even invited to play the game.
As we saw the common man find he had disposable income, during the 80s, more and more could play the game. Television brought the game to living rooms and folks decided it might be fun to try to play. Slowly, golf evolved to a game that could be enjoyed by most anyone.
Today, rounds are down. Courses are closing. The tough economic crisis of the past couple years has hit this game like a sledge hammer. Corporations used to use golf to entertain clients and reward employees. Today, corporations do not want the impression that they are making money hand over fist. Few are, anyway. So, we stand the chance of golf again becoming a game for the rich and famous.
This Tavistock Cup exemplifies something that can do nothing but hurt the game. We who are still working 60 to 70 hours/week in hopes of being able to retire are not going to be turned on by watching the wealthy flaunt it. (I won't get into the discussion of tax loopholes, etc. that the wealthy can find which are not as available to the working stiff.)
Can this crap! I would much rather watch a bunch of drunken bums play, none of which could break 150, than spend time watching some rich b***ard shoving his ego in my face!!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
No doubt, I was watching it and the helicopters thinking they were burning more fuel on that short little hop home than I'll burn all month going back and forth to work. It is defintely over the top, the only thing that made it even remotely watchable was Ferhety taking jabs at the golfers. "He could kick start a 747 with that posterier"

Even the participants didn't take it seriously, Ernie Ells didn't even know what the format was one day, had to ask on the 1st tee.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I scammed this off a golf site, thought it was quite amusing...

1. The Tavistock Cup in its current format does nothing to promote the game of golf. Quite the opposite, it puts people off. The event is more like Horse Polo or a Regatta than a golf tournament.

2. Being among the elite is one thing, but flaunting it on TV, while the world burns is a whole different thing.

poulter helicopter 3. The best defence of those involved is that the event raises millions for charity each year. Yet there is absolutely no mention of charity anywhere on the homepage of the Tavistock Cup website. There is however a very very expensive watch! Don’t you think charity might start by saving $5,000 a time by cutting out the luxury helicopters that pointlessly drop players back down the road. We had that in Ireland once, it was called The Galway Races.

4. Isn’t it more likely that the event raises more for the property developers in the participating clubs and gated communities and those sellin2 pairs of shoesg the toys that the mega loaded surround themselves with? Outrageous product placement of super cars like the red Audi parked in the middle of the fairway that David Feherty spent five minutes trying to start kind of proves my point.

5. Watching ultra rich players and their invited spectators from gated communities snort and guffaw over prawn sandwiches doesn’t exactly warm people’s hearts as they struggle to pay the mortgage and healthcare.

Yup. It's like walking up to the homeless guy panhandling on the street corner and burning a $100 bill in his face. No way it promotes the game.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Somebody watched the Tavistock Cup?

Meaningless exhibitions hold no interest for me. Skins game, Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, Tavistock Cup, all the same to me.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
Well I enjoyed watching, there was some very good golf played. I also enjoyed the slow-mo cam analysis of the techniques of some of the best ball strikers on the planet. There was some good banter to boot.

OK, the way they shoe-horned the product adds in was at times bothersome, but they gotta pay for it somehow and charity does benefit.

I enjoy watching good golf shots in whatever format, but for some if it isn't the back nine at Augusta then it isn't golf??

🔥 Latest posts