• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fixed upper? Opinions, please...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Fixer upper? Opinions, please...

I'm thinking of buying a new house. I've found this for sale. Think I should put an offer in?

"Location:picturesquely situated in the Southerly Gulf Islands just off the coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, the serene shores of James Island boast over 30,000 feet of rare private oceanfront property.

The island sits 1.5 miles off Vancouver Island and 90 miles from Seattle, Washington, both centers a short commute away by airplane, helicopter or small pleasure craft.

The lively tourist metropolis of Victoria and the Saanich Peninsula are close enough to offer requisite conveniences to residents of the island but distant enough to afford a high degree of privacy and an unparalleled level of communion with nature.The deep blue Pacific embraces the island and its neighbours, Sidney and Darcy Island in the temperate climate so typical of the Pacific Northwest.

History:Named in 1854 after His Excellency James Douglas, then Governor of Vancouver Island, James Island has a storied history which reflects hard work and strong family values in its past. Initially inhabited in 1874 by the Munro family who migrated from Scotland, James Island is one of the chain of islands known as the 'Gulf Islands', surpassing the splendour of its neighbours with its beautiful rugged sandy beaches. James Island served as the home of the Munro family until 1910, when Canadian Explosives Ltd. was formed based on the railroad, mining and land booms sweeping Western Canada at the time. In 1915 construction began on the Canadian Explosives James Island TNT plant which grew to house over 800 workers, supplying much needed explosives throughout the First World War.

Particulars:Today, the island is a quiet monument to its historic, bustling past. Measuring 780 acres in size, the island is 1.5 miles wide and 2.5 miles long. Amid the natural splendour of its rugged beauty, nature abounds on the island with eagles, hawks wild ducks and over 400 English fallow deer resident on the property.

Without any predatory animals on the island, wildlife is free to roam and to experience the peace and serenity of the island. The waters of the Pacific surrounding James Island contain a bounty of Dungeness Crab, salmon and halibut to challenge the avid sports fisherman.The topography of the island is replete with vegetation including an abundance of apple, cherry and plum trees as well as wild flowers and majestic Arbutus trees which are indigenous to the area.

The owners of the island maintain the daffodils and wild poppies which decorate its many fields and broombush meadows.Island residents can enjoy the luxury of 4 large cabins on the property as well as 2 smaller cabins for guests and 2 trailers ideal for staff quarters or for hunting purposes. Authentic driftwood signs post directions to each of the secluded cabins, most of which enjoy breathtaking views of the ocean and surrounding pines. The cabins all have 2 bedrooms and a plethora of luxurious appointments indoors, as well as 'hitching posts' for golf carts outside each front door.

The cabins are decorated with country wood furnishings which have been tastefully married with state of the art appliances and conveniences to produce a comfortable, cosy yet modern atmosphere in a rustic setting.

Recreational activities are plentiful and range from the 2 tennis courts, one volleyball court, horseshoe pit and log swing sets to the magnificent 10 hole private golf course engineered and designed by the legendary Jack Nicklaus. Roughed in to an 18 hole standard, the golf course showcases the beauty of the island from each of its ten spectacular holes. The state- of -the -art-computerized sprinkler system irrigates the course as needed, keeping the greens lush and maintained to perfection.

Amenities:The seaplane ramp on the southwest tip of the island provides a welcome landing spot for the arrival of floatplanes to the island. Other planes including helicopters can easily land on the cleared regulation sized runway, which runs up the eastern side of the island. The property is served by six operational wells on site and a distilling plant for the island's own natural spring water. The island offers full potential for unlimited telephone and hydro lines, ideal for development purposes. The Powder Dock at the north east end of the island serves as a boat launch and can accommodate any size ship at its industrial strength docking facility. The original dock at this location is over 100 years old, retaining a bit of the island's history in its fibres. The historic building at the dock has unlimited potential as a waterfront home, marina or restaurant/ bar for local and tourist patrons.

The Work Shop, located in the centre of the property contains a wide range of equipment used to maintain the island as well as two fire trucks, one an antique from Vancouver/ Chilliwack. The shop houses 8 Bombardier golf carts for the use of island guests and 9 sets of complimentary Jack Nicklaus golf clubs. In addition, the Shop is laden with lawn equipment, furnishings and enough space to house fire and safety personnel.

Ideally designed for the golf enthusiast, nature lover or individuals inclined towards the serenity offered by a private nature reserve, James Island provides a retreat from the bustle of everyday life straight into Mother Nature's own paradise."

780 acres, 18 Million Canadian dollars.

I dunno. May not be big enough. ;)

R35
james air.jpg
james dock.jpg
james guest.jpg
james golf.jpg

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Too late sucker!

I already made an offer on it. :D

I'll be needing a scullery maid for the place though.....interested?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Am I!

Any "off hour perks" that I might be able to endulge in?

If it means playing golf, i'm prepared to make that sacrifice. :p

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I would make an offer on the condition that the owner get Jack Nicklaus to build eight more holes.

Not a fair deal without the full 18.....

Actually looks like a very reasonable asking price to me.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Not bad if it's all you can afford. :D

What's the conversion to US dollars. I need a place to go when it's hot here. Let me know, then I can have my people call their people and put something together. :smilie_mizuno

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Can anyone say, Time-share? I mean, if we pool together.... I'm in for $2K-3K, at least.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If we could get another 6000 people on board, we're set! :xxrotflma

R35

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It happens every weekend at some muni's around here....

:rolleyes:

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.