• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

flex change with extension?

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
If I extend the length of my driver by 1" will it play any softer? I have a ft-5 with a graff. epic which is tipped one inch and butt trimmed to bring it down to 44.5".. It plays a tad too stiff for mr this way and was wondering if i added an inch if it will soften up a bit..

THanks!!

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
not sure - the swingweight would come up a bit though - might be too heavy

I think you can have the shaft pulled and reinstalled as a blind-bore though - that would expose more of the tip and I'm guessing would soften it up a bit - I think you'd need a really good clubmaker to do it though

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
sorry it is tipped .5 inch my mistke in the original post..

for the swingweight issue I was thinking of throwing led tape under the grip...

this is waht i was told by th eperson i bought it from

"The driver head is not a bore-thru like typical Callaway of the past, more of a blind-bore. Per the manufacturers instructions, I had the clubmaker tip trim 0.5" and then butt trim to the final length. Thanks!"

Im wondering what my options are here... I wouldnt mind reshafting the whole club, but I wouldnt know what shaft to get...

eaglesback

Mar 24, 2008
Yup, it will definitely play softer. 1" will decrease the frequency of the shaft by about 9cycles/minute which will take you from a S flex to an R flex (as an example). For 1" swing weight should change by 6 points.

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
i really dont want to pull the shaft, i dont have the equipment to do that, extending it is my best option right now.. id really lik to soften this up a bit becasue i think it will be a very good shaft for me... im just losing to mjuch distance...

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
if you just extend it, you might not make center-face contact as consistently and could lose distance on a net basis
let us know what you try and how it works out for you

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
i dont really have an issue with longer shafts, considering how short i am... but my biurner plays 46" and never had an isue hitting the center of the club face...

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
Would putting lead tape under the grip change the swingweight?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Would putting lead tape under the grip change the swingweight?

Swingweight is just a balance. Yes, it would lighten the swingweight. You are just fooling the scale though.

The more important reason to put lead tape on the end is for butt-weighting, which is a feel thing. It may or may not work for you and your swing. And how much do you need? You won't know until you've swung it.

A MUCH better solution than putting lead tape under the grip is to use the Tour Lock Pro weights inserted in the end of the grip. Then you can change the weight to find out what works best for you. 10g increments up to 50g.

If you think you can handle a longer shaft, go ahead and pull the grip and put an extender in there. Regrip it, try it, and if you think you need some butt-weighting, get the TLP bit, drill out the end cap and mix and match some weights.

I would do all of the above with some face tape in order to see where the most consistent center contact is happening in which setup.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Yup, it will definitely play softer. 1" will decrease the frequency of the shaft by about 9cycles/minute which will take you from a S flex to an R flex (as an example). For 1" swing weight should change by 6 points.

No way.

One inch in added length will equate to less than 1/3 of a flex. A good rule of thumb is for every 2 swing weight points you go up, you will soften the flex by 1 cpm. Its takes about 10cpms to drop a flex, and even that is very shaft profile dependent.

Adding weight to the butt end will lower the swingweight but do nothing to change the actual head feel. Like August said, you are only fooling the scale.

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
I ended up putting it up for sale- I hit my burner soooooo much better- it isn even worth the headaches.. someone else will really lik ethis club,m unfortunatley it is not for me..

Members online

No members online now.