• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Floppy club head

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
So I made it out to the driving range on Saturday (it was a gorgeous 60 degrees outside) and I noticed that my 9 iron which I do most of my practicing with was a little floppy on the end... for example, when I would waggle the club, the club head lagged behind the shaft a little...

can anyone tell me if this is a problem, and if so, what causes it and what needs to be fixed on it?

I think I hit one too many fat shots with it :mad:

thanks

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If the head it loose it can be glued back on. If the shaft is broke it well need to be reshafted.
If the graphics on the shaft are straight it is probably a broken shaft. If the graphics are turned to the side it is a loose shaft. Check one of your other irons and you can see where the graphics should be or if the grip has a reminder it should be in line with the face.

OP
token_hottie

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
obagain said:
If the head it loose it can be glued back on. If the shaft is broke it well need to be reshafted.
If the graphics on the shaft are straight it is probably a broken shaft. If the graphics are turned to the side it is a loose shaft. Check one of your other irons and you can see where the graphics should be or if the grip has a reminder it should be in line with the face.

Thanks. I'll check and see which it is.

OP
token_hottie

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
I looked at it and it's not doing it anymore... perhaps because my clubs were out in my car frozen solid. Is that bad?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Shouldn't make a difference, unless you hit them when they're cold. Then you might loosen a head.

Are they cold now, or warm?

R35

OP
token_hottie

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
right now they're cold. when I was hitting them on Saturday they were warm.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Let them warm up, see if it's loose. I would think when they were cold, they would tend to shrink up a bit.

Warm them up, give them a twist. And as OB said, if the graphics are fine, it's probably a broken shaft.

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
It wasn't mentioned before, so I will. I'm Not sure I would recommend hitting it again until you have it checked out. You probably run the risk of doing some harm if the shaft cuts loose or breaks. A Clubmaker should be able to check this out and epoxy the head back on for about $5-10 or so. Although if the shaft is starting to fray at the end or is broken which they will know when they remove the head, and which sounds very possible, they will probably need to replace the shaft. Regardless of whether it seems to still be a problem, I would have it checked out for safety sake. Chances are they won't even charge you to pull the head off and look, it only takes a few minutes and if the shaft is O.K. they can epoxy it back on and you should be able to use the club again in a day or so.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.