• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Florida travel query and advice

Irish

May 9, 2007
I'm hoping Eracer and Ualtim might be able to help me out here. I'm starting to plan my vacation this year for myself and the girlfriend and thinking of Florida end of September beginning OCtober. First question is that hurricane season and should I alter my dates accordingly..what time towards the backend of the year would be the best time to visit.

Also looking for some ideas on activities..I've been to Florida a couple of times as a kid but not recently..would be flying into Orlando and probably rent a car for the fortnight...preliminary thoughts would be a few days in clearwater to relax, maybe drive down to the everglades..possibly stay in miami for a couple of days (is it worth visiting) outside of these traditional hotspots I'm not too sure where to visit, I hear Key West can be a blast(although a little wierd)...just looking for some general ideas,

any help is appreciated....

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm hoping Eracer and Ualtim might be able to help me out here. I'm starting to plan my vacation this year for myself and the girlfriend and thinking of Florida end of September beginning OCtober. First question is that hurricane season and should I alter my dates accordingly..what time towards the backend of the year would be the best time to visit.

Also looking for some ideas on activities..I've been to Florida a couple of times as a kid but not recently..would be flying into Orlando and probably rent a car for the fortnight...preliminary thoughts would be a few days in clearwater to relax, maybe drive down to the everglades..possibly stay in miami for a couple of days (is it worth visiting) outside of these traditional hotspots I'm not too sure where to visit, I hear Key West can be a blast(although a little wierd)...just looking for some general ideas,

any help is appreciated....
Do you want to do the theme park thing? If so, then you could easily book a week or more in Orlando alone. There's Disney (for kids of all ages,) Epcot (still pretty cool,) Sea World, etc. But to me, Universal tops them all for adults. If you like rides, you should at least do Universal Islands of Adventure. It's an awesome park, and the Universal City Walk is great for nighttime fun. If you want to treat the GF to an amazing (albeit a bit $$$) dinner, book a table at Emeril's in the City Walk. Simply sublime dining experience.

As for west coast beaches, I prefer a bit more laid-back beach area like Anna Maria Island, Siesta Key, or Indian Rocks Beach. Clearwater is crowded and, well - crowded. It does offer a wider variety of "things to do."

Key West is a trip - in more ways than one. It's a good 7-8 hour drive from Orlando. And it is a very unique atmosphere. I liked it much better 20 years ago, but there's still no place like Key West. If you've never been, and you and your GF want to experience the REAL Key West, you should try to book now so that you are there for Fantasy Fest. It's like Mardi Gras without as many a$$holes. If you like to party, you shouldn't miss it.

Official Fantasy Fest Website - Key West Florida

Miami has some appeal, particularly South Beach (
icon12.gif
) and the club district. But it's a zoo. Deerfield Beach is a good spot to base if you want to explore Ft. Lauderdale/Miami. You can get good condo deals there, and it's a bit off the fast track, yet still close to Miami. But you're probably better off just stopping in Miami for a day and a night on your way to Key West.

I'm totally ignoring the panhandle (Destin, Panama City, etc.) only because I wouldn't recommend it to a first-time visitor. Once you've experienced the "classic" Florida, you can start delving into those places, as well as places like Crystal River and it's magnificent springs (and the ever-present Manatees.) St. Augustine (the oldest city in the country) is a cool day-trip as well. But again, you only have so much time.

Sanibel Island is a great place, but it's more a spot you go to and stay for a while. Not really a day trip kind of place. Palm Beach is amazing. Drive up Hwy. 1A and look at the mansions. You will realize that winning the lottery might pay for the landscaping. Pretty sobering.

As for hurricanes - don't even worry about it. Buy trip insurance that covers you in the VERY unlikely event that a hurricane would disrupt your vacation. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but the whole of South Florida has at worst about a 1-30 chance of getting hit during a two-week period in any given year. September is the worst month, and Fantasy Fest is in late October. So, no worries, eh?

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
Eracer stick to the Central florida stuff ;)!

Alright Irish here is my $.02 in the order you have asked. First your coming in the good time of year, tail end of the hurricane season which more likely than not means you won't see one coming. Also, this is the beginning of the dry season for us down here.

How long is the car rental? I ask because Clearwater is easily an hour away from Orlando and the everglades is close to 5-6 and Miami is 4-5, Key west maybe about 6-8 depending on the kind of traffic you hit.

Miami.... great city lovely town. Honestly, it all depends where your hotel is located in this city. If the GF wants to hit the beach stay somewhere along collins (beachside hotels), if she wants shopping (and I'm trying to ease your wallet on this one) I would stay somewhere in the "Dadeland" area (there is a marriott in there). Vast amount of shops and your a 2 minute walk from the mall itself. Your about 10 minutes from another mall "The Falls" which is a bit more pricey down US1. Night life is also on South Beach as you may well know. Stay away from the hotels on SOBE though because they are just insane expensive. Oh one thing STAY FAR AWAY FROM DOWNTOWN. I don't know how many times I have told tourists that very thing. Horrible area, notorious ghetto (Overtown) just really don't wander those areas it's easy to get lost w/o knowing the city.

If there's anything else you need or have questions about pertaining to South Florida just let me know. I know Eracer can cover the Central part of Florida pretty well.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Spend a week in Orlando.

Do both Universal Parks. Islands of Adventure is a thrill park and the original park is more of a movie set, but still lots of fun

Be a kid again and do the Magic Kingdom - your GF might really like that, and I won't lie, I'm 34 years old and still get goosebumps when I go there.

Never been to SeaWorld, but definitely a must do in Orlando - they have rides there also.

Take an afternoon and go to the Kennedy Space Center - you can get tours there. We were lucky enough to catch a launch - Columbia's last :( so check the schedule.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I agree with Vt. When I went to Orlando Universal and Magic Kingdom were amazing. Busch Gardens wasn't bad at all either, but that's in Tampa, I think.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eracer stick to the Central florida stuff ;).
It's not like I was dissing Miami. I just don't like the whole Guido/Supermodel mentality of the place. Then again, if you you want to introduce me to your girlfriends on the dance floor at the Opium Garden I certainly won't complain...

I'm not doing the Metropolis though, even if MCDavis is in town...
icon10.gif

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
lmfao there is no way you've heard of metropolis unless you've lived down here for a bit. I'll hook ya up with the ladies from Yage tho

OP
Irish

Irish

May 9, 2007
thanks for all the advice guys...will put together a plan over the next month for a nice two week trip...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Wow, looks like they already got you covered. :laugh: Eracer has been down here longer than I have so he knows a bit more of the hot spots.

You could easily spend at least a week at Disney, let alone Orlando. Beyond the Magic Kingdom, you have EPCOT (my favorite park), Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. Throw in the 2 water parks, Downtown Disney/Pleasure island, Disney Quest, Cirque de Soleil (La Nouba), 99 holes of golf, and 4 mini golf courses you can keep yourself pretty busy. The wife and I spend a lot of time at Disney, and to be totally honest, I have never been to either of the Universal parks in Orlando. Seaworld is great and you can pretty much get it all done there in a day, maybe two.

If your going to do Disney, I would recommend the following restauraunts: The California Grill at the Contemporary resort (great food, even better view), Artist's Point at the Wilderness Lodge Resort (I always get the Salmon there, no one cooks a better Slamon), Jikos at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (great selection of South African wines), Narcoosees at the Grand Floridian Resort (another great view with a good seafood selection), Le Cellier Steakhouse at the Canada Pavillion inside EPCOT (hard to get in, we have to make priority seating months in advance), The Brown Derby inside Disney's Hollywood Studios park (recreation of the original out in California), Fulton's Crab House at Downtown Disney (great seafood selectoin flown in daily from all over the country), and the Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club/Beach club resort. We have never had a bad meal at a Disney restaurant (sit down restaurant, park counter service can occaionally be less than good.)

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online