• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Focus at the range

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm one of those dudes who say "Boy, I was hitting it so well at the range and then my game went south on the course".

Today at the range I spent some time thinking through every shot. I worked a lot on focus and precise targets, from PW through to 6 iron through to 3w and Driver. I set a target for each shot, went through my pre-shot routine and then executed it. After each shot I scored how close I was to shape trajectory and final destination. Did I hit that fairway, or that green? etc.

The results were interesting, I struck the ball cleanly today. But I probably woul dnot have scored that well on a course today. Usually I just hit balls at general targets. If I'm within 10-20 yards of each target, I'm usually pleased. But in actual fact on the course that could mean OB, hazards, missed greens.

I think the next time you go to a range, warm up and then hit a limited number of balls, 10 max with each club; focus on quality rather than quantity. Imagine you are on a particular tee, or in the middl eof a particlar fairway. Imagine trouble to avoid etc. and try and go through the shot as if it counts.

My guess is that it will improve course management and concentration.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've noticed it to be similar for me. I can setup a shaft as an alignment and literally hit dozens of flushed, perfect shots landing inside a yard of one another. The real test would be to switch targets, setup again to that target and hit it. Yet another reason I'm going to try to get away from the range and play more par 3 courses for my full swing practice this year.

🔥 Latest posts