• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

For dog lovers:

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Remember when you were a kid and skinned your knee? For Rock, that would be last week, so he should remember. After the scab formed and dried, what was underneath was a health granulation bed: lots and lots of tiny blood vessels in a relatively thick layer of fibrous tissue, with little or no infection.

It serves as a "bed" for skin to grow over, primarily by contraction with a wound like this.

Doggie's skin edges had already started contracting, making the hole smaller, but it would have taken a long time, several weeks to months, to fill in a hole this size, so I speeded things up by releasing the skin edges, placing a drain to remove fluids, and suturing the edges together. Luckily this was in an area where the skin is thick and mobile.

Piece of cake, really.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So just to be curious, are the owners getting the dog back? I mean since it took them almost a week to get the dog help and all... or was it just really a case of looking worse than it was, cuz it looked pretty bad...

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I shouldn't be letting this out, as it's a secret, and someone will probably kill me for telling, but the only thing worse than getting stuck with the bill is getting stuck with the bill and the dog. :D

Seriously, she has a home, which is more than I can say about a lot of dogs, so she will go back to it, and we will call to check on her periodically.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
Great work, Doc! I am glad that there are people like you out there to help out animals with crap owners that think "Well, it is just a pet, so who cares is it has a horrible bleeding hole in its neck. Not like its a kid. (in which case they could have taken it in to the doctor after 2-3 days, vs. a week with the pet) :(

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Aye, nice to see people actually trying to help out there. Good job doc!

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Thanks, guys.

When we play golf, please give me a few extra Mulligans. :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well Doc...here's the little Bichon we got over in Macon back in the late Spring...she a cute little bugger and gets into everything...

Quite a deal seeing her in the house with 300 lbs of Laboradors running about.

A study in contrasts
IMG_0006s.jpg

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Very cute. And wearing her Rabies tag. That alone puts you in the top 1% of pet owners. :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Are you serious? Everyone of my pets(excluding turtles, obviously), has a rabies tag on.

Shoot, even my turtles have those health thingy ma bobbers that help kill disease in the water.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Oh yeah, I'm serious.

We get at least 1 stray dog or cat brought to us every week. Most of them end up being claimed by their owners.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Jeez, I can't believe that. All my aminals have the chip and the collar, mainly because I wouldn't know what to do without them. :(

🔥 Latest posts